-lol-
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 11:59 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 12:55 pm 
Eureka has a "preview" site up here http://www.eurekatent.com/eureka2002/tents.html

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 5:28 pm 
Looks like they're using the same patented? high/low vent concept as the the Stevensons to reduce condensation. From what Dante tells me it doesn't work very well in Backpacker Joe's 2X, but it looks like the Zeus has a lot more "standard" mesh. I think dual purpose hiking pole concept is the way to go to reduce tent weight. That's why I'm considering a wanderlust nomad lite for my solo tent - under 2lbs! Hmm, I think that model is swaying me wink.gif. Wanderlust also has a 2 person 2 lb. tent, but it's even pricier frown.gif.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 5:31 pm 
The MEC model is better!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 5:43 pm 
I love crapmor. They have great prices and decent brand name gear.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 5:47 pm 
No argument here Randy - but better than the 6'3" model on the wanderlust site though the ladies might disagree.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 10:04 pm 
There is a "Design Diary" on the page for the top tent in the Exo line. It says the Exo concept was developed to allow users to erect a double wall tent in a single operation. You attach the frame to the floor, then lift the fly and attach it to the frame. The "tent" hangs inside the fly. Cool Idea for a double wall tent. I'm waiting for someone to make a single wall tent out of EPIC by Nextec. It's highly water resistant NOT waterproof (water will penetrate at about 5psi) and it's supposed to breathe better than any coated or laminated fabric. I've got a line on some EPIC and am going to use it to make a simple 3' x 7' sleeping bag cover/ground cloth. The fabric will weigh less than 8oz, and it should provide enough protection for most nights. If it looks like rain I'll set up my poncho/tarp. If anyone wants an EPIC bivy and doesn't want to make one check out Macpac's Overture Overbag It weighs 12.6oz and costs $109. The "Fuzzy Stuff" Stephenson uses for VBLs might help manage condensation in single wall tents as well

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 18, 2002 12:06 pm 
No, the 6'3" male model is not as comparably cute as the MEC model. The Wanderlust Nomad lite looks like a sweet little shelter, but definitely pretty pricey. I's love to get my hands on some of that Epic fabric myself, anyone know where I could get some? It's pretty sweet stuff!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jan 18, 2002 12:45 pm 
Heres's what a couple manufacturers say about EPIC and Pertex Microlight (the other material I considered): We are expermenting with a new fabric that may turn out to be the best of all. A process has been developed that "encapsulates" each individual fiber with a permanent waterproof coating. The fibers then adhere together increasing the tear strength more than 50%. The fabric cannot be considered waterproof because water can be forced through at comparatively low (5 PSI) pressure. The fabric breathes better, though, than any coated or laminated fabric, and will never wet out. We have found that instead of needing to sun dry a bag that has accumulated dew, all you need to do is give it a good shake and it is ready to stuff. Look for this fabric called EPIC by Nextec. EPIC by Nextec takes a revolutionary approach to fabric protection. Instead of coating the finished fabric, the process encapsulates each individual fiber and then bonds them together. This results in fabric that is highly water repellent, highly breathable, and much stronger as well. We have chosen a 1.3 oz. Microfiber polyester to use as the base fabric. With the EPIC by Nextec encapsulation the total fabric weight is 1.9 oz./yd.. The fabric is amazingly soft, and allows better lofting than other fabrics of the same weight. Because the fibers are completely encapsulated, the fabric absorbs only a tiny fraction of the water an equivalent nylon or polyester shell. That means your jacket or bag will dry quickly. EPIC by Nextec ™: A revolutionary shell material for down! We strongly recommend the new EPIC by Nextec material as a high performance exterior for down mountain gear. At 1.9 oz/sq. yard, this polyester microfiber features a unique and very durable water resistant fiber encapsulation. The result is a highly breathable, extremely water resistant, soft and pliable material that allows for excellent loft. In order for down to work, it must remain dry from exterior moisture as well as the interior body vapor. This fabric is a quantum leap in performance down shell material and is actually made stronger by the silicone encapsulation. Amazing stuff! Pertex Microlight rip-stop Nylon: A fantastically light and breathable shell material, at 1.3 ounces per square yard, Microlight makes for a great lightweight rip-stop sleeping bag shell. More breathable and less water resistant than Endurance or EPIC by Nextec, this Pertex rip-stop nylon is world famous for its durability and supple hand. The fabric is significantly stronger than a 1.1 oz/sq. yard nylon, yet has the soft feel of a 1.6 oz/sq. yard taffeta. The Pertex special DWR+ (Durable Water Resistance) treatment will outlast and outperform other typical DWR treatments. I don't know how well EPIC would actually work as a single-wall tent material since it will not absorb water like Nylon. I think water vapor would still condense on the inside of the cold shell. Nylon would absorb such moisture and give it time to reevaporate--that's how many waterproof breathables actually work. That's why I considered Microlight. That's also why I think Stephenson's "Fuzzy Stuff" might work well in a single-wall tent (assuming the fuzzy side is absorbtive). I'm also going to post a good deal on an EPIC Primaloft Jacket and Pants set separately.