Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > We lost another shuttle!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 10:16 am 
God rest the souls of the seven men and women inside the shuttle Columbia. She broke up on re-entry this morning! I remember in late January 1986, I was in our briefing room. There were abunch of us crew dogs waiting for the next mission. You see I was in an Aviation detatchment in the Army. When I heard/saw the Challenger go down I remember I felt like Mike TYson had punched me in the stomach. I feel like that now! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 11:14 am 
I was watching the live footage on TV in the high school library in 1986. There were only about 6 of us in there and no one believed us when we told them what had happened. I still remember everything about that day. It was a pretty monumental event for a teenager to see live on TV.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 9:56 pm 
In 1986, I was living in South Florida. I will always remember looking to the North and seeing the plume of smoke clearly against the blue sky. Along with that fateful day, I will now remember this day as well. BW frown.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 10:50 pm 
I remember it well, not necessarily the year, but the month and day since it was Jan 28 (my birthday). Somewhat eerie this one occurred just a few days later on the calendar.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 11:57 pm 
A poem I saw in another posting on the shuttle.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 7:19 am 
I was stunned when I heard the news of this disaster. To watch it on TV was awful, as awful as the 86 disaster because you knew brave people were dying, people who had family waiting their return, people who had given their all for several years of training and dedication, people who had a belief in advancing the frontiers of science and mankind. These were people who had "the right stuff". I salute them and offer my condolences to their families and our country.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 9:55 am 
Sorry to hear things went bad. The risks we take as humans...... I have seen a liftoff in Florida. I encourage you all to make a pilgrimage and see a liftoff when they start the program again. It truly is a wonderful and powerful feeling.

Art is an adventure.