Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 11:04 pm 
jenjen wrote:
On berries - thickly sliced strawberries work well, but I haven't had any luck with other berries. They're ok if you re-hydrate them in water as a sauce, but really they taste better if you make the sauce and then dehydrate that. (I hope that made sense)
Yes that made sense, but does making them into a sauce require cooking? I don't want to use heat but I'll bet slicing or crushing should work well. You just have to break those skins open so the moisture can get out. My plan is to eat them in the plain dehydrated state while hiking. Blueberries are usually too expensive but when the season hits they can be so cheap, I get really large quantities of them and pork out. This time I'll try dehydrating them again so I can have them all year; what I've been doing is buying blueberry concentrate. But cutting every single one, sheesh, oh well. It's worth it, blueberries are the best! You can dehydrate sliced apples really well. For strawberries I recommend organic because otherwise they have the highest pesticide content of any fruit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 1:04 am 
jenjen wrote:
GoBlue, the pork sausage I did went rancid on day 3. frown.gif I had thought it would be great for flavor and needed calories, The Idahoan instant potatoes are really good. Dayhike Mike introduced me to the different mixes - really tasty, filling stuff.
I know it's not pork sausage, but one pork product I love to bring along and use are the Bacon Bits. These keep really well and are a welcome and tasty addition to the Idahoan instant potatoes. up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 5:26 am 
Pei Mei wrote:
I'm sorry about your dad. EDTA chelation is proven and even certified by the FDA for removal of toxic metals. It might help.
Yeah, he's already taking that stuff, and it works well to reduce the amount of Mercury in his system... it's back under safe levels again. The drugs have stopped the progression of symptoms, but unfortunately they do nothing to reverse the nerve damage already done. He's just not quite the same guy he used to be. Granted, he's getting on in years, but it's more than a little disheartening nonetheless.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 7:36 am 
Hey Jen, you can get ham in pouches, just not so easy to find these days. Thank god they quit making the hamburger in pouches...ewww! That stuff was gross. Pouched meats dry well also. A friend of mine on the East Coast tried cooking chicken breasts in a pressure cooker, shredded them when done and dried them-it rehydrates perfectly!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 8:51 am 
Pei Mei wrote:
Yes that made sense, but does making them into a sauce require cooking?
You can just whirl them in a blender or food processor and then dry them into a fruit leather - no cooking, just smooshing.
Quote:
For strawberries I recommend organic because otherwise they have the highest pesticide content of any fruit.
I grow strawberries and raspberries here. wink.gif No pesticides - ducks keep the bug and slug population down to a dull roar.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 10:15 am 
jenjen wrote:
Pei Mei wrote:
Yes that made sense, but does making them into a sauce require cooking?
You can just whirl them in a blender or food processor and then dry them into a fruit leather - no cooking, just smooshing.
Allright! Thanks, I see smooshing in my future. Have blender, will smoosh. {{smooch}}