Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > News
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 1:38 pm 
Does anyone know of a good source for unbiased, unmassaged news? You know, something along the lines of what is really happening and not just what someone wants us to hear? Some place that can tell it like it is? On another note, my inside source tells me that there have already been 1000's of civilians killed in this war. Also that the US has given part of Iraq to another country. I'm waiting to see how this develops. Just hearsay at this point. TIA NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 1:49 pm 
I usually follow www.cursor.org It's not exactly unbiased, but it's less watered down than the mainstream.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 2:10 pm 
I've been following the mainstream TV news networks and have been wondering how much is being filtered. I'd suggest looking for news sources outside the coalition, and certainly outside the US. Maybe a country from Europe that hasn't been involved on either side of the pre-war debate. It's strange, I saw a piece of news go by on the Fox News ticker earlier today saying that Russia was giving technical aid and supplying military hardware to Iraq and the US administration was pleading with them to stop. This was only onscreen for a few minutes and I haven't seen it since on Fox News or any mention of it on any other network. Anyone else hear anything about this? I take information from Fox News with a major grain of salt, but that seems bold even for them.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 2:24 pm 
There is no such thing as an unbiased source. The closest there is is Google News which just lists stories according to hits. The best I can suggest is to go over the links onthe bottom of The Druge Report Right Wing and BuzzFlash Report Left Wing and decide for yourself. I would not doubt it about the Russians they havee supplied Iraq for many years but it could just be old parts. I also saw in an Israeli Paper that Iraq claims an Israeli missile was found in Bagdad (Israel claims it was a US missle with their parts). I am sure Iraq will use this for propaganda too. Here is a link to the Fox Story BTW this is old news, I read about it on the GPS newsgroup 6 months ago.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 2:43 pm 
Thanks for the links. I'll be keeping an eye on them. CNN just indicated they will be talking about the Russians and the dealing with Iraq. Now that Turkey has granted airspace, lets see if they come up some additional real estate. Turkey is most likely at the border ready to claim some land. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 3:04 pm 
Thanks for the link to the Russian involvement. I was under the impression it was the Russian government supplying the Iraqis with equipment. Good to see it's not the case. That could get very nasty. Seems we have a bit of war profiteering going on. The least they could do is wait until after the war to profit from it like the US companies. shakehead.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 3:07 pm 
At the news conference today from Qatar I heard one of the reporters ask the general answering the questions about the Turkey situation and if in fact Turkey troops had entered Iraq. The general said that there have been Turkey troops in Northern Iraq for some time but that no additional troops have been sent there. At least I think that is what I heard. Can anyone here shed any light on that?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Mar 24, 2003 7:55 am 
Although Northern Iraq is referred to as a "safe haven'', the Kurdish people there have never been safe from Saddam or from Turkey. For example, Turkey invaded northern Iraq with 20,000 troops in 1992, 35,000 troops in 1995, 50,000 troops in 1997 and 10,000 troops in 2000, and everyone has seen the carnage Saddam inflicted upon the Kurds. The United States and UK unilaterally declared northern Iraq a "no fly zone'' for Iraq aircraft, but did nothing about attacks by Turkish aircraft. Instead of objecting to Turkey's actions in the past, the U.S. and Britain armed Turkey heavily and kept quiet so that they could use air bases in Turkey to bomb Iraq most weeks ever since 1991. The U.S. State Department's Human Rights Report for Turkey details murder, disappearances and "widespread'' torture of Kurds by the Turkish state. Some ally, no? Here's a couple articles on the Kurds in Turkey and Iraq from The Toronto Star and The London Times. Anyone remember the saying if you want peace, work for justice?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Mar 24, 2003 8:46 am 
I find my own CBC News World provides some pretty unbiased news. I like BBC coverage as well. What's really ironic is that the British were in Iraq/Persia in the 1930's with armored cars fighting the Kurdish separatists.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 2:37 pm 
I kind of sort through all the news sources, then I go talk to our ROTC colonel on staff here in Zillah-really interesting guy who flew F-4's in Vietnam. Probably the most interesting stuff and the most unbiased I've seen on TV is Sky News-FOX's sister channel, but the Brits do it a whole different way.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 4:08 pm 
All news is biased. The key to looking for objective news is to find newsworthy people that DO NOT USE "adjectives" or "adverbs" in their news reports. The use of "adjectives" or "adverbs" editorializes a news report.

Art is an adventure.
Seattle Thymes

Seattle Thymes
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 4:28 pm 
The best source for unbiaced, concervative, responcible news is... BPJ News Francly, I've reseived the best informacion at the above web cite then any other cite on the web.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 5:54 pm 
A friend sent me to a website that has an interesting point of view on the war. It's a daily weblog from a someone in Baghdad. Really gives the war a personal feel, and gives an experience you can't get from established media outlets. Where is Raed? I remember reading a similar weblog from someone in Kosovo during that conflict.