Forum Index > Food & Grub > Dessert ideas?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
quilter

quilter
PostThu Mar 02, 2006 10:14 am 
I've volunteered to make dessert for nine people on an igloo building trip. Since it will be evening time and cold, I'd like to make something warm. Since it's after dinner, I want to keep clean up to a minimum. If I can make it in a freezer bag and serve it in an ice cream cone that would be great. I'm limited to one large pot and one burner. We're near the cars, so weight isn't a concern. Suggestions?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dzane

dzane
PostThu Mar 02, 2006 11:18 am 
Warm banana pudding. Cold mountain night, igloo, bananas = good high energy food, vanilla wafers are a great treat. That's my vote.

I hear the mountains calling.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 02, 2006 11:20 am 
Mountain House makes a scrumptious raspberry-chocolate something or other. Just add boiling water to the foil pack. You'd need bowls and spoons and probably three packs for your group. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 10:26 am 
Have you considered serving some yumblilicious Japanese ice cream? Here's some flavor choices: Lettuce and Potato, Raw Horseflesh, Soy Sauce, Whale, Stout Black Beer, Shark Fin Noodle, or Oyster.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 10:41 am 
Looks like one of those is owl flavor. My dessert suggestion is to bring a dutch oven and do a peach or cherry cobler...those are good, but the 15-lb cast iron oven is a bit much to carry wink.gif

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 12:02 pm 
quilter wrote:
I've volunteered to make dessert for nine people on an igloo building trip. Since it will be evening time and cold, I'd like to make something warm. Since it's after dinner, I want to keep clean up to a minimum. If I can make it in a freezer bag and serve it in an ice cream cone that would be great. I'm limited to one large pot and one burner. We're near the cars, so weight isn't a concern. Suggestions?
How are you going to serve something warm in an ice cream cone? And if weight is not a concern, why are you limited to one large pot and one burner? Illogical... Illogical... Help me, Mr. Spock!

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 12:19 pm 
So how about hauling in some ingredients for S'mores?
Marshmallow harvest
Marshmallow harvest

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 2:42 pm 
Quark wrote:
So how about hauling in some ingredients for S'mores?
Marshmallow harvest
Marshmallow harvest
would work if the igloo campers had a fire to roast the marshmellows....

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 6:06 pm 
Bake a slab of brownies before you go. Heat up either hot fudge or caramel sauce on the stove in camp Sprinkle with walnut or pecan chunks, and top with a can of whipped cream (should stay cold if you are in cave building country) Smash brownie into ice cream cone, add sauce and nuts, top with whipped cream. naughty.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 6:10 pm 
jello cheesecake with blueberries or cherries. the kit contains graham cracker crust makings and fillings, you add butter and milk (dried is fine). you mix the crust and form it to any cook pot or lid of sufficient size, then add the filling mixed with berries or fruit of your choosing. set it in the snow for an hour or two then get out of the way when the forks start flying.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 7:09 pm 
My favorite I have made is this: Trail Pudding Pies: In a quart freezer bag put: 1 pkg Jello Instant pudding Cookies & Creme flavor 2/3 cup instant dry milk Also take a 6 pack of Keebler mini graham pie shells (ok, this isn't lightweight....) and a pkg of whatever small chocolate you would like. In camp add 2 shy cups of water to the bag. Seal and start shaking well for a good 2 minutes. Pour into pie shells, top with candy and let set. If you have a stream nearby, chill the pudding bag for 10-20 minutes. Marzsit rigged one up for me once on a trip-we put the quart bag into a gallon ziploc bag, and he tied to it a biner and cord combo, and tied that to a tree. In Febuary, on the coast, I made Jello cheesecake up ( 1/3 cup dry milk for every fluid cup of milk called for ). I served it in metal cupcake liners, and sprinkled the graham cracker crumbs on top.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.