Forum Index > Gear Talk > Trangia Ti Pots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 6:15 pm 
I was looking at www.trangia.se and noticed the weights for their Ti pots are really low--70g (2.5oz), 110g (3.9oz) and 115g (4.1 oz) for the 1, 1.5 and 1.75 liter pots, respectively. In 15 minutes of Google searching the only place I could find to buy one online was http://www.litepac.com/shopping.asp?gid=800 The bad news is it's in Sweden. The good news is the pot is only $17 at current exchange rates cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 1:46 am 
Hey Dante, I thought you were done shopping lol.gif. Wouldn't shipping and duty eat you alive anyway? BTW, how are you liking your helium bag? I couldn't decide between the helium and the moonstone zone 1 ultralight so I got both. The moonstone is smooth as silk inside but I love that padded drawstring on the helium - oh so comfy around the chin and 6 oz. lighter (I could have saved a few more oz. if you hadn't beat me to the last regular size bag in stock at the snow leopard waah.gif so I sprung for the long version - my heavyweight angel is currently assuring my lightweight angel that my 6.0001' height would never have fit into the 6' regular bag rolleyes.gif). I think the moonstone will be going back to rei-outlet but it will be a tough decision as that moonstone could definitely keep me warm into the mid 20's. Anyone interested in a 2lb. moonstone zone 1 ultralight long 800 down bag for $153 + tax before I return it to rei-outlet? I noticed they have sold out.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 2:08 am 
That looks like a good deal. The very old Feathered Friends bag I normally use weighs 3 lbs 5 oz so that 2 pounds is tempting. The problem I have with Moonstone bags (I have one) is that they are designed for people who sleep on their back. Unfortunately I don't sleep on my back so their scheme of putting less insulation on the floor backfires in my case. If you can sleep on your back then they are great.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 2:18 am 
You never know. Maybe I could trade you for a curtis raft. I hear they don't have much insulation on the bottom either but I could use the weight savings biggrin.gif. BTW, I just checked the moonstone and it doesn't look unreasonably thin on the bottom. Probably has as much insulation as the helium does on top. That moonstone bag is so silky smooth inside it's gonna be tough to return it if I keep getting inside to test it.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 11:33 am 
Is a gear freak ever really done shopping? Shipping would be expensive, but Backpacker Joe goes to Sweden almost every year to keep their nuclear reactors up and running. I've placed an order for one of each of the Trangia Ti pots cool.gif Hey, I'm a little ashamed to admit this to the god of gear deals, but I got cold feet and cancelled my order for the Hydrogen. I got the Western Mountaineering MegaLight. What can I say, the full-length two-way zipper (and to a lesser extent WM's rep) was worth the extra $80 to me. I sleep warm. I didn't want my feet sweating into a nice down bag and I wanted to be able to open the bag up and use it as a quilt on warm nights. BTW both the MegaLite and Hydrogen have continuous baffles (no side block baffle) so you can adjust the distribution of the down from top to bottom if you want to.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 12:38 pm 
Dante, did you place your order with backpacker joe or the store? Either way I might be interested in piggybacking on that order. Also, I'll have to check the moonstone. It may have continuous baffles too. If so, perhaps Mr Curtis might be interested in trading for a raft wink.gif.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 1:10 pm 
Backpacker Joe won't be going to Sweden until next year. If he's willing to bring or ship a bunch of the Ti pots home, he or I will post something here before he goes.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 1:15 pm 
TB the pot smuggler lol.gif

Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 1:56 pm 
If I weren't a tarp and solid or cannister fuel stove kind of guy, I'd see what kind of a deal TB could get in Sweden on a Hilleberg tent and Optimus Nova. Given the exchange rate, there are probably all kinds of opportunities for "gear arbitrage." wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 10:28 pm 
I will be there for a month in May and June. I'll get the skinny before I go and then buy and ship over here. I'll bring some back with me too. The exchange has been around 10.00 KR per dollar for a while. I'll look into the tents too. TB wink.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln