Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 11:32 am 
Mapman wrote:
Now why do they call some mountains "Mount Rainier", and others "Palmer Mountain"?
I would think it's the same reason some have Lake before or after -- British vs French convention maybe.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 4:09 pm 
Quark wrote:
I haven't seen any brooks or streams on the maps of Washington. What's the difference between a creek, a brook, and a stream, if any. And why do you suppose we have lake names such as "Lake Josephine" with 'lake' first, and some named as "Barclay Lake?"
Amazing how my original post about "aunt" has digressed to discussions about water channels! Reminds one of the scene in Monty Python & the Holy Grail with "The Knights That Say Nee!" chattering amongst themselves about what they're going to do about King Arthur & his Knights, and when they finally decide, of course Arthur & Co. are long gone. Right! .... As for my take on brooks, streams et al, they should rank in this order: 1)River 2)Stream 3)Creek 4)Brook 5)Babbling Brook 6)Drainage Ditch 7)Sleepy Glade-from Neil Diamond's "Longfellow Serenade". Oh,oh I'm reeeealy dating myself now...

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 9:42 pm 
Quote:
This guy is obviously off his rocker. No true dedicated outdoors-person from Washington would dare to call this delicate or dainty.
That is a nice waterfall. I would call that a stream though, not a creek.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Apr 26, 2003 2:13 pm 
polarbear wrote:
That is a nice waterfall. I would call that a stream though, not a creek.
It's actually more than big enough to be considered a River. I can think of, off the top of my head, at least two "rivers" in the state (Little Quilcene and Little Mashel) that are considerably smaller than Rush Creek. Out of sheer curiosity, what's your reasoning that a "stream" should be bigger than a "creek"?

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSat Apr 26, 2003 2:43 pm 
MooseAndSquirrel's post of course. lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 2:08 pm 
Well, who am I to argue with poorly animated cartoon characters with bad voiceovers? winksmile.gif dizzy.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 5:36 pm 
Webster's lists both pronunciations as correct, but the short-a version is listed first. So you don't offend anyone, or to make sure you offend everyone, pronounce it both ways. If your aunt lives in the hills, you might just want to say "ant", since ants live in hills as well. If she lives in the big city, you can say "aunt" and tilt your nose slightly up. If she is your late aunt, you can call her my "ain't" which is more correct and meaningful. If she gives you money everytime she visits, call her my "ante". up.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 8:19 pm 
Thunder Creek is bigger than many rivers. My question is, who gets to decide if something is a creek or a river or whatever? If a person gets to name something, do they just get to pick the name but not the description, or do they get to choose both? Could the namer of Thunder Creek have called it Thunder River if he/she had wanted to? And why are there so many duplicates? A name search for "Lost Lake" on topozone.com produces 29 results, only a few of which are the same lake. And why do I keep getting these headaches? Why don't clouds blow apart? And who DID put the sham in the shamalamadingdong?