Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lost River Gorge in Washington - Anybody been there
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaryG

GaryG
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 9:45 pm 
I am considering hiking the Lost River Gorge south from Eightmile Creek Pass to the Monument Trail trailhead in northcentral Washington State. Has anyone done this or heard of it being done? I would like details on what to expect on this offtrail adventure. Thanks, GaryG confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 10:20 pm 
I've been in the area, crossing from Eightmile to Lucky pass. The brush can actually be pretty thick in the drainage there from what I hear. I met 3 Wa State fish biologists who'd just come from the upper end of the Lost Creek Gorge and said it got very dense, passable but tight, and in places wading was necessary just for travel. They said other things that were much more interesting to me as a fishing freak, but I'll leave that for you to figure out. wink.gif It's a pretty intense looking gorge on the map, I've thought about trying it, but it's also pretty long so being forced to turn around would really blow. The brush is the stiffer, thicker dryside variety so it can get painful, and there is poison oak or ivy or whatever also. That said, it's still a cool looking spot. You have a good eye for maps, or have you been nearby?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 9:01 pm 
The November 2001 issue of Pack&Paddle had a very good write-up of a trip through the Lost River Gorge (in Sept) by Don Goodman. His group of 4 used the LRG as an exit route from the Shellrock Pass area. Canyoneering, Pasayten style.

GaryG

GaryG
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 10:40 pm 
I know I may be a fool looking for adventure (as always). I have been in the area a lot over the last 30+ years, and have looked over the maps in detail. I think it is feasible, and know it has been done. The fishing would be a nice addition, thanks MtnGoat biggrin.gif . and I will try to look up the 11/2001 Pack&Paddle, lopper. Any other info would be appreciated from others. GaryG