Forum Index > Links > Satellite views in visible light
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Magoo

Magoo
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:01 am 
Can someone point me toward CURRENT, CLOSE-UP, REAL-TIME views from orbit , of the northwest? This would be used for observing cloud-cover and the progress of wildfires.

"Had we lived, I should have had a tale to tell of the hardihood, endurance and courage of my companions which would have stirred the heart of every Englishman. These rough notes and our dead bodies must tell the tale."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:37 am 
Probably the best you're going to find is the National Weather Service satellite images. Commercial stuff with better resolution (Ikonos, Digital Globe) isn't available real-time. It's usually a couple weeks old by the time they post it. NOAA has a link to fire events, but the most current is from August 14.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dante

Dante
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:06 am 
I agree with Kleet. I looked into this a while ago. I didn't find any affordable real-time or even very recent images. "Affordable" is relative though. If you find something, though, please let us know smile.gif

Magoo

Magoo
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 10:33 am 
satellite views in visible light
Yeah guys, I've checked out NOAA.GOV and as you already know their resolution is crap! A few years back, while I was living in Lander WY., I was able to watch a local wildfire on this site and the resolution was infinitely better. I don't know what has happened with this site lately. Thanks for the input, anyway. Maybe someone out there has found a better site?

"Had we lived, I should have had a tale to tell of the hardihood, endurance and courage of my companions which would have stirred the heart of every Englishman. These rough notes and our dead bodies must tell the tale."
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 10:59 am 
Well, this isn't a satellite image, it is a webcam, but there is a link to a real-time image for the Pasayten. LINK The 24-hour sequence and the comparison to "pristine" conditions is pretty amazing. Pristine
Last night at 6 PM
You can also hit this site, which is another webcam pointing at Mt. Stuart. Usually, Stuart is totally visible, but now...

A fuxk, why do I not give one?