Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Greatness, movies, and $
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue May 20, 2003 3:01 am 
my top movies are those that i end up buying on dvd. currently i have: american pie american pie 2 the good, the bad, and the ugly a fistful of dollars for a few dollars more two mules for sister sara my name is nobody clerks mallrats chasing amy dogma jay and silent bob strike back dr. strangelove a clockwork orange 2001: a space odyessy the shining full metal jacket don't be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood titanic the karate kid das boot the adventures of buckaroo banzai across the eighth dimension u-571 the hunt for red october easy rider this is spinal tap air america the right stuff bill and ted's excellent adventure pump up the volume the silence of the lambs natural born killers ufo tv series, 26 episodes

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue May 20, 2003 8:17 am 
Sore Feet-We just call him Gus-hell, it's no worse than my real name-let's just say I'm a pasty white boy who's never been to Hawaii who has a Hawaiian name because his flour barrel caucasion parents met there and got married. I'm the guy the teacher stumbled and stopped over when reading the class list the first day of school.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostThu May 22, 2003 7:45 pm 
Movies, I love the movies. I see a few Coen Bros. films on people's lists, they are mighty fine, but I'd probably have to stick with their first, Blood Simple, as the very best. Ridley Scott does great work: again, my favorite is his first, The Duellists (not the western, silly..). The Duellists would make my list of top five, I think. I think Werner Herzog's Nosferatu is available on DVD now. I have to see that again, made a hell of an impression in the theater, back when. There had been a rider on the film contract that it not be transferred to video. We Were Soldiers was excellent - my favorite war movie ever has to be Glory, another for the top five list. Seeing Indiana Jones was amazing. Probably even more amazing that Star Wars - heh, I was in a fencing club at the time, and all us 14-16 year old lads quite upset our crusty ol' French fencing master by coming into the salle waving our foils around like light sabers that week.. One thing in common with my favorites is lush, intense cinematography. . . . and I'll confess that the movie I've actually -seen- way more times than any other is the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's been years, though, sadly..

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu May 22, 2003 8:07 pm 
El Cid (spanish castles, jousts, battles, romance, shot in Spain) The Man Who Shot Liberty Vance Song of the South (they need a sequel to cover more Brer Rabbit stories) Fiddler on the Roof (great story and music) Mad Mad....Mad World (a bit slow sometimes, but certain parts are classic like the final scene in the hospital) Singing in the Rain (also if you want to see great dancing, see the barn raising scene in 7 brides for 7 brothers) Speaking of jousting, what is the best film to see for a good sword fight?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 22, 2003 9:12 pm 
I agree with: Outlaw Josey Wales The Godfather Breaking Away I disagree with: Raising Arizona Mad, Mad, etc I would add: The Emerald Forest!!!!!!!!!! This is the coolest movie ever! The Fierce People, The Invisible People (they are good eating!). If you have not seen this movie, run to the video store with the best selection and hope they have it. Lawrence of Arabia

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostFri May 23, 2003 10:31 am 
Treasure of the Sierra Madre Eye of the Needle Raging Bull Raiders... How the West Was Won The Vikings(?) The last two I saw at Drive-Ins when I was a kid. I know they have aged terribly, but they left a great impression on me. My favorite movies now are mystery/murder. Not epics or big budgets, so the titles usually escape me.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri May 23, 2003 4:08 pm 
This is fun! up.gif I agree that El Cid (with Charlton Heston & Sophia Loren) is very good and underrated as well. Saw it on the big screen years ago when it was reissued with a new print. Mad Mad World definitely has its moments- especially to a certain age of viewer- the kids today wouldn't know most of the cast and would find the pacing too slow. Jonathan Winters destroying the gas station and Terry Thomas ("You Americans and your preoccupation with bosoms"!) dealing with Ethel Merman are still pretty damn funny. Raising Arizona is a classic! Treasure of the Sierra Madre is timeless. As is Casablanca. Those two movies are full of classic lines. John Boorman's Emerald Forest, at least while it's in the jungle, is very good. I think Last of the Mohicans is great. I also highly recommend a newer film, The Fast Runner, the first movie filmed in the Inuit language. Excellent change of pace, engrossing and plays like a documentary (It looks like it was filmed on videotape) It took me a bit to feel comfortable with it, but it soon became enthralling. Two of the weirdest movies that I'm twistedly proud to have sat through and endured are: El Topo(A Mexican/Spanish movie) and Eraserhead (David Lynch)- what an experience! If you've seen either you know what I mean.