Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > And a 70 year old Japanese man made it to the top of Everest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostSun May 25, 2003 8:27 pm 
Link

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 26, 2003 12:56 am 
Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
photographerJim

photographerJim
PostMon May 26, 2003 1:18 am 
haha this one i just have to laugh at...... but hey i hope when im 70 im gonna be able to climb Mt Everest..... that is if he wasnt riding on the back of some sherpa wink.gif

"Whoooo-Whoooo"
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon May 26, 2003 2:58 am 
Alas BPJ, consider this: AGE Happens frown.gif (If you're lucky smile.gif ) You get there faster than you plan so I tip my hat to Mr. Miura, climbing Everest at age 70 is awesome. up.gif The man has some real drive and unbelievable physical ability. I just climbed Mt. Hood and felt like the old guy on the mountain Saturday as I only saw about 4 others in or around my age (2 men, 2 women on one rope team) but then to think about, I'm only 62. biggrin.gif In 8 years maybe I'll be able to climb Everest cool.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160

PostMon May 26, 2003 6:57 am 
CascadeHiker wrote:
AGE Happens frown.gif (If you're lucky smile.gif ) I just climbed Mt. Hood and felt like the old guy on the mountain Saturday as I only saw about 4 others in or around my age (2 men, 2 women on one rope team) but then to think about, I'm only 62.
Awesome!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 26, 2003 10:10 am 
Dean, where's the trip report? wink.gif

photographerJim

photographerJim
PostMon May 26, 2003 10:31 am 
congratulations CH smile.gif hows the snow pack up there? is it lookin pretty thin on the glacier? i hope when im 62 ill still be climbing mtns...

"Whoooo-Whoooo"
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon May 26, 2003 5:55 pm 
Thanks Pappy and Photographer Jim. I climbed it Saturday a.m. and the snow was fine on the way up if you put your feet in some previous footprints that had consolidated the snow. Since I was solo, I had a bailout planned if the bergscrund was dicey or icy conditions were prevalent in the Pearly Gates chute. When I hit the hogback, I felt it was safe to go on, so I did. I had crampons on but you could almost have left them in the pack. Tom, I've posted my pics at my Fototime album and have placed captions that pretty well sums it up. http://www.fototime.com/inv/79253A347DE852D Take the time to read the caption on the last picture because it shows how fast the conditions can change. Had i attempted it yesterday, I wouldn't have been able to do it solo. The bad thing was that the snow was soft from the hogback down Saturday and I postholed all the way down to the car so it took me almost as long to get down as it did to go up. I also had no views at the summit as a cloud cap descended and socked us in pretty good. Anyway, it was still a great day.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon May 26, 2003 6:58 pm 
Nice slide show. Not being a climber or knowing diddly about it, I was curious if Hood was easier than Baker or Rainier. Thanks, NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon May 26, 2003 7:45 pm 
Hood is the easier of the three, by a long shot.

photographerJim

photographerJim
PostMon May 26, 2003 11:49 pm 
hahah ya u can drive up half of it and take a ski lift another third and then i looks like a pretty steep climb from there.... i never saw any climbers on the ski lifts going up though only comming down.... that place gets hectic in the summe with all the snowboard camps and the lodge.... a ZOO

"Whoooo-Whoooo"