Forum Index > Gear Talk > LED headlamps - info repeat requested
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 8:33 am 
In one of our recent forums there was a thread on headlamps. It didn't make it to this forum, or if it did, I can't find it. Ayway, two or three of you recommended specific models that you use and like. I'd appreciate it if you'ld tell us (me) again what those are. Santa could use a little guidance. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 10:08 am 
My favorite is the Petzl Zipka. It has an innovative retractable band that makes it extremely light, compact and versatile (you can even wear it around your wrist). The Petzl Tikka uses the same lamp assembly but it is attached to a conventional head band. It is an ounce or two heavier and a bit bulkier to pack, but a bit more comfortable to wear on your head.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 11:23 am 
I agree. The Tikka or Zipka would be my first choice for hiking. They're bright enough, have a long battery life and are lightweight. Glow-bug is one of my favorite online LED resources. Lots of information and good prices. Check out their comparison chart.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 12:56 pm 
I'll third that comment on the zipka now that I have one wink.gif. Currently you can get them at the backcountrystore.com on sale and duty free for $35. If you want the tikka I think Dante was saying GI Joes had them on sale for $25 (plus WA state duty), but I'm not really a headband type of guy - I like the retractable string approach of the zipka. P.S. If you want a zipka to arrive before christmas, you can have mine (still shrinkwrapped in the box) and I can reorder.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 1:37 pm 
Another vote for the Zipka. Dante had his Tika before I got my Zipka. It fits well inside my first aid kit too. TB biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Beave

Beave
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 5:28 pm 
rant.gif I really like my new Black Diamond Moonlight.... It's got 4 super bright LEDs and a claimed 70 hour burn time on 3 AAA's.... Looks bitchin' too!!! =O Check it out on the REI website for a nice up-close look.... Craig

Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 5:34 pm 
Photon is selling a pretty cool LED headlamp for those who want more output and are willing to carry more weight. See this link.