Forum Index > Food & Grub > Hungry In Forks? So worthy!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 10:00 pm 
I love to hike out in the Forks and coastal areas, and have eaten at every place out there and survived..but then, on saturday night we visited a place I hadn't been to before (and I don't rember seeing before in the past year). All I am saying is that if you want some of the best tasting Chinese food in WA, head to Golden Gate in Forks. It is on 101, on the left side if coming from Port Angeles. It is in the building that used to have a burger type place. Near the True Value store. Really freaky good food, hungry hiker portions and actually authentic food cooked correctly. The wonton soup alone made it worthwhile.....a broth meant to be sipped full of wontons, BBQ diced prk, cabbage and green onions slobber.gif chow.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Tamster

The Tamster
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 11:24 am 
Thanks for the tip Quark. My Mom lives in Port Angeles and goes out there often.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 12:07 pm 
Yo, that sounds eggsellent! It's about time Art Not and I wander thataway for some storm watching. We usually stop at 3 Rivers & have fish & chips, meat & malts after sucking down a brewski at the trailhead. Maybe we'll give golden gate a whirl this time. Nice to patronize a new business in a place like Forks - they need the dough.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
tinman

tinman
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 6:17 pm 
sarbar, actually, Golden Gate has been around Forks for about 5 years and in the new location for about 2. We try to keep good things secret around here!! Weekends are the best time to eat there as John the owner is in the kitchen. He is definitely the best of the cooks. Quark, you might want to wait awhile for the storms, see the attached article. Forks has a new distinction on the peninsula. Lots of peoples wells going dry in the West End this year. http://www.forksforum.com/Article/articleDetail.exm/Index/article/2006-10-10_Its_official__Forks_is_warmer_than_Sequim/

Wherever you go, there you are.......
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 7:32 pm 
Tinman, then I was right....I kept thinking that they had been there forever-but that they used to be off the main rd. Am I right? It was down a side street in town? They had a sign that would point down there, with red writing if I rember....

tinman

tinman
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 7:41 pm 
Yep, you are right. Good move for them, it has really helped the business. By the way, we have a new Teryaki place in town too but I haven't tried them out yet. It's on the same side of the street as Golden Gate in the old Vagabond Restaurant building. Way many restaurants in a town this size!!!

Wherever you go, there you are.......
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 7:50 pm 
Yeah, I saw Shanghai, but while it was open on friday night, it was closed on saturday. We ate at P. Jalisco on friday...I think I have eaten at every one of their places in Wa and Or now hmmm.gif The one in Port Angeles is even tinier than the one in Forks! I like Forks. For some reason I end up out there a couple times a year. Usually stay at Olympic Suites Inn if we are not backpacking. It is cheap and reasonably clean. I have to add, is that the re-do at the Thriftway was well done. Somehow someone came home with more Woolrich sweaters hmmm.gif The clothing is really well picked...pretty funny that I could buy a whole wardrobe in Forks, and be happy. I can never find clothes I like in the malls. lol.gif So thumbs up for the Fork's Outfitters! And I have to say, Golden Gate has made the place very nice-the interior is very pleasing -and a really nice waitress also. She defintely deserves a 20% or more tip! smile.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 7:52 pm 
Last winter Art Not & I partook of the salad bar at Forks Cafe and let me tell you, the kielbasa and saurkraut soup was so good! It's an odd kind of soup to have - it's in danger of not being eaten by many folks, but folks were eating it. I had 2 bowls of it. I always get excellent service there, too. Those waitresses work their butts off for you. I love Forks. I love that True Value, too - my freind Sarah and I have a wardrobe from Forks too! up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 7:56 pm 
And lets not forget the espresso stand in the empty lot kitty-corner from Fork's Motel and The Inn Place. Mocha Motion? I have been getting drinks there for at least 3 years? Even though I shouldn't have caffiene, I am bad when there, and get their blended mocha, made with ice cream coffee.gif hungry.gif Oh sure, it isn't healthy. But it's sure tasty.....

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 8:07 pm 
Darn, Art Not makes us go to the store in Quilayute and have regular coffee before hitting the trail 'cause we stay at Mora on the Friday before hitting the trail TEll you what, I'll stay at my freinds house at PA next time, or at that DNR campground on whatever road that is, and drive through Forks in the morning and stop at the espresso shop. That would probably be worth it. I mean I like the little store in Quilayute and all - there's always a really neat dog laying on the front porch - but I would like to try the espresso shop too.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 5:08 pm 
Quark wrote:
Darn, Art Not makes us go to the store in Quilayute and have regular coffee before hitting the trail.
I don't make you do doodley. And your friend in PA is probably make believe anyway.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 10:56 pm 
Art Not wrote:
Quark wrote:
Darn, Art Not makes us go to the store in Quilayute and have regular coffee before hitting the trail.
I don't make you do doodley.
Yes, you do. You hit me with a big ole stick and say, "git in that there rig. we're a-gonna go get us some coffee at the res."
Art Not wrote:
And your friend in PA is probably make believe anyway.
Dumbass, every flippin' time we drive by there, don't I say, "That's where my freinds live, down that road." and then about 5 miles later, I say, "No, that's where they live, down there." It's one of those roads that pops up in 2 different places on the highway. It's exactly like Oso Loop Road and Chicken Coop Road, only different. And then later I point and say, "That's where my freind works." Sarbar also had mentioned the bagel place in PA and it's the best bagel place ever. I had an apple bagel - it has real apple slices on it. I don't often crave chinese fuud after hiking, but unless you hit me with a stick, it's a considerable consideration to consider.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Oct 18, 2006 7:51 am 
Mmmmmmmm...OBC (Olympic Bagel Comapny). I never pass it up lol.gif