Forum Index > Food & Grub > Thoughts about Hiking Foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 1:10 pm 
Today while hiking in the rain, Grasshopper and I were pondered about having a section on this website dedication just to food. What we had thought was that people could post on what foods they like to take or drooling for while on a trip, how to prepare it and what is used to prepare it (before going on a trip or while on a trip), how over time (from the time you started hiking back in the dark ages biggrin.gif ) has your food preferences have changed and what foods have been added or removed over time from the menu. I'm sure that there are a few of you out there that would say that this topic has been covered before, but we envisioned that a section for food be made part of the Forum Index. What do think?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 1:56 pm 
I came across this thread some time ago on another site that I wanted to reference here I'm always on the lookout for camping food ideas (although I tend to always default to the same old things) so I heartily endorse HJT's suggestion

grasshopper

grasshopper
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 5:01 pm 
Yeah, there's lots of food topics that would warrant their own forum. New recipes People buying new dehydrators and wanting tips. trail mix recipes things to share with a group campfire libations wink.gif It would be a lot more convienant (sp) having a separate forum rather than searching and digging up three year old posts regarding backcountry food. Please mods, pretty please with sugar on top? smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 5:30 pm 
I'm all for it, as long as we still get to have the Stewardship forum.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 8:18 pm 
Now who would want to talk food? biggrin.gif I talked trail food all day today biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 9:42 pm 
Like other categories (i.e. safety tips) I'm not sure a separate forum is warranted. Would it make sense to pin a thread at the top of trail talk with links to topics that warrant categorization? For example: Safety Threads Avalanche bulletins Safety Tips, Lessons Learned Road Conditions Middle Fork Road Food Threads Sarbar's Freezerbag Campfire libations Trailmix Recepies It would require someone manually update the list as new topics surface, but I think it might be a better way to go vs. an extra forum for people to click on.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Mar 25, 2007 7:49 am 
Tom, I like your idea. I didn't want to rain on the Food Forum parade, but I was thinking there isn't really all that much food talk, and creating whole forums for such topics could lead to a too-long list of forums. However, if a lot of these sticky "list of topic threads" threads accumulate, maybe they should all go in their own "Threads by Topic" forum embarassedlaugh.gif , to avoid too many sticky threads at the top of other forums.