Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostFri May 30, 2003 1:53 pm 
We found an old mine while prowling around near the Tumwater Canyon. If interested in finding out more, contact me. I won't publish details about how to locate mines unless I know you or have seen enough of your posts to trust you. Mines are fascinating but dangerous places and no place to play. In the meantime I'll do some more research and see if I can find out some history for those of you who would be interested in knowing more about it or going to see it. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Seagnat

Seagnat
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 1:13 pm 
There are also a bunch of mines at the headwall of the Spider Gap area. Some are so intact, artifacts such as boots and other gear are still left on the ground after decades of time. We left them alone, hopefully everyone else has also. There are also a few mines at the Reiter Pits at Goldbar, but that place isn't much for hiking unless you're into dodging motorcycles. Mines are a cool fact of our history. Imagine the work it took to haul heavy mining gear into and ore out of these places. Happy trails.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:49 pm 
There are a few safe mines. Going into ice caves is very dangerous though. A buddy of mine pulled a body from a collapsed ice caves on the Gothic Basin trail a few years ago. Ice Caves gets someone every few years too. Try the Justice Mine, Upper and Lower Del Campo mines, one near Red Bridge, for starters. They are great fun. Get the books "Discovering Washingtons Historic Mines" by Oso Press for hints on the good ones.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
JimK

JimK
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 8:10 pm 
The site of NWHiker member 2DrX is a great resource for mine exploration info: 2DrX Explorations

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message