Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Middle Fork Snoq Travel Plan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mal Con

Mal Con
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 9:58 am 
It is simply a matter of priorities. The trail pass brings in about a million (could be less when you average in cost). One F-16 costs 20 million (old plane B-2 stealt run 1,3 billion). For the cost of one of these you could pay for the entire backlog of maintaince in the NW for several years. Occupation of Iraq is estimated to cost 100 BILLION or 100,000 million per year, for as long as it takes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 1:05 pm 
Bummer. There are a number of great trails up that road that, in my experience, are underused (I have backpacked in the Dutch Miller area on beautiful August weekends without encountering any other campers). I do understand that the general area along rd 56 is heavily vandalized/trashed, but I wish the FS could find the $ to increase ranger patrols and maintain the road and trails. I wonder how visitors will get to Goldmeyer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 1:20 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I wonder how visitors will get to Goldmeyer.
They can use the "multiple use trails" on either side of the river. I've hiked up there from Dingford on the South shore of the river and back on the road. The southshore trail is longer than it looks, but a nice day hike. Some folks might not be comfortable crossing Burnboot Creek or the Middle Fork, though. I guess they could hike the road all the way up to the upper bridge and back down to the hotsprings on the South shore. BTW, the Forest service is ditching many of the side roads and/or blocking them with huge boulders.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 1:23 pm 
It isn't necessarily about vandalism. It's about "protecting the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Valley for recreation and habitat". Do a search on the board and see the fruits of your advocacy dollars. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=256

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 2:55 pm 
Does anybody know if they will IMPROVE the road to Dingford? If they are NOT going to improve the road, all it looks like is that they are going to GATE the road. THAT IS THE ONLY CHANGE. How is gating the road the ONLY result of an "environmental assessment?"

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 5:32 pm 
They are going to pave the road up to the point that the Taylor and Middle Fork split! After that they are ONLY going to gate the road at the Dingford creek trailhead. There will be no fixing the road to that point! The whole thing SUCKS! moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 5:58 pm 
brilliant, huh? The plan for addressing high impacts is to transport *more* people, more easily, to the area being "saved", and then close part of it to save it from the increased impacts. This is all fill in logic for a bunch of folks that wanted the road closed no matter what. When it's convenient, the one answer is nobody uses the road anyway, but they're increasing the opportunities by closing it to the few who did because now more will. Other times, there's too many people or will be too many from the road and of course they must close it, too many people are having too much impact on the road too few use to make it worthwhile to keep. Confusing? That's because this was a done deal all along from a handfull of purists. I think the valley should be "saved" starting where it turns dirt *now*. Think of all the wilderness.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 6:22 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
brilliant, huh? The plan for addressing high impacts is to transport *more* people, more easily, to the area being "saved", and then close part of it to save it from the increased impacts. Confusing? That's because this was a done deal all along from a handfull of purists.
Yup, but not to those that wanted it this way.
Quote:
I think the valley should be "saved" starting where it turns dirt *now*. Think of all the wilderness.
If they did that just think of all the people that would be po'd. This way, they look like they made an intelligent decision and satisfy some groups. Some just have to hike further that's all NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 11:56 pm 
*sigh* Well, guess I'll be putting new shocks on my bike now... vent.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 7:54 pm 
hmmm.gif maybe it's still possible to stake a claim on a crystal mine a ways up the road. Then you would have access.

tengo8

tengo8
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 10:23 pm 
Priorities
Mal Con wrote:
It is simply a matter of priorities. The trail pass brings in about a million (could be less when you average in cost). One F-16 costs 20 million (old plane B-2 stealt run 1,3 billion). For the cost of one of these you could pay for the entire backlog of maintaince in the NW for several years. Occupation of Iraq is estimated to cost 100 BILLION or 100,000 million per year, for as long as it takes.
However wonderful a well run trail system is, it is not something a Mid-Eastern sociopath fears or respects. A $100 billion a year is a small price to pay if it helps assures we may continue to enjoy such luxuries of arguing Forest Service policies. Remember, in a large part of the world having the time or the resources to hike for pleasure is beyond the wildest of dreams. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 10:33 pm 
tengo8 wrote:
However wonderful a well run trail system is, it is not something a Mid-Eastern sociopath fears or respects. A $100 billion a year is a small price to pay if it helps assures we may continue to enjoy such luxuries of arguing Forest Service policies. Remember, in a large part of the world having the time or the resources to hike for pleasure is beyond the wildest of dreams. smile.gif
Not really, in all of Western Europe. Australia and New Zealand people actually have more time and freedom to hike than in the US due to longer vacations.You are correct if you are talking about the third world but that is comparing apples to oranges. smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 11:29 pm 
tengo8 wrote:
Mal Con wrote:
hurl.gif giardia.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 11:59 pm 
tengo8 wrote:
Yeah yeah yeah. And Communism would have overrun the world if we didn't go into Vietnam, and Saddam Hussein would have destroyed the world if we didn't go into Iraq and... rolleyes.gif America: Profiting from War since 1776. guns.gif