Forum Index > Trail Talk > HiLaker Meeting
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 3:37 pm 
Just got through reading Ben Eacker's story in the Hi-Laker myself. What an experience. I can't imagine trying to hobble back to the trailhead with an ankle like that...

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 5:54 pm 
It was a horrifying experience leaving me with scars on my underarms from the makeshift crutches, and a damaged ankle that will likely continue to cause problems. I did however learn first hand the importance of being extremely cautious while traveling solo.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 7:07 pm 
Benjamin, I sprained(?) an ankle pretty bad about 8 years ago playing basketball. The doc didn't want to x-ray the thing, said it was too swollen anyhow. A week later it was still pretty sore but I was pretty upset with myself and decided I would go hiking no matter what rather than write the rest of September off. I hiked up to the Spectacle Lake overlook and despite the stupidity of it it was the first time I'd seen the lake and what a sight it was! I think it took over a year for the thing to heal completely and regain the flexibility in it. Maybe I would have been better off if I'd checked back in with the doctor again, who knows. Sometimes it can be pretty hard to get good medical help from these health plans. I hope yours heals quickly and your able to do the hikes you've always done on the trail.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 10:33 pm 
Gad, I didn't know Ben was a Hi-Laker? Thought we voted him in as a Trail Blazer only? What's the world coming to with all these Hi-Lakers infiltrating the TB'ers...grin.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 12:39 am 
P-bear, I am the QUEEN of ortho injuries, and your sprain may very well have been just that. But..they can and often are more serious than breaks and they can take an awful long time to mend. I once had 2 ballet dancer roommates and they said that a bad sprain is not totally good as new for a YEAR. Take your experience and take good care the next time you get an ortho injury...be nice to it! Of course I am at the moment not taking my own advice--I cracked a rib on Saturday and have not had a day off since--and I have a job where I use my bod at work. I'm wondering if I'm doubling my recovery time every time I pick up a piece of scenery....

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 12:34 pm 
I have sprained my right ankle 11 times! The first time was at 10 years old. It was so bad an ambulance came and got me. It is almost the size of a tennis ball all the time! It sucks! I'm going to have surgery on it this winter. I spoke to a guy that had the surgery and he LOVES his new ankle! After so many sprains the tendons are loose and won't ever spring back without the work. TB waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 2:25 pm 
Backpacker Joe, I am contemplating a simular surgery being that one of my tendons completely severed and is just dangling there. The doctors say that it is not a big deal; some NBA basketball players are missing four or five of them. Unfortunately no one pays me Million$ and Million$ per year to hike, therefore I am fed up with my ankle unexpectedly giving out on me. I hear the surgery is reletively minor, and all the recipients of these types of procedures that I have spoken with have been extremely pleased. The recovery time is not that long so if it were done now you would have a good chance of being back on the trail by next summer! Good Luck!!!

Sandy McKean

Sandy McKean
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 3:10 pm 
Hmmmmmm......so this is where the action is<grin>. Dave, you a clever snake in the grass aren't you!!

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 8:43 pm 
I probably will take better care of my ankle next time I injure it, though I've often wondered if I handn't gone on that hike if it wouldn't have frozen up completely. The worst part was hearing my brother a year later saying things like "No wonder it isn't completely healed, remember you went hiking on it a week after you sprained the thing!? How stupid! rant.gif rant.gif " :angry: mad.gif
Quote:
*** ADMINISTRATOR NOTE *** This thread has been locked to prevent any more initial posts from disappearing. Feel free to start a new thread under the same topic.