Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best Time for Mt. Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostWed Feb 20, 2002 8:49 am 
scot'teryx, thanks for your post, too. I'm going to look at your web page in greater detail tonight. The pics were fantastic. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostWed Feb 20, 2002 8:01 pm 
I'll chime in on "nice suggestion, Ibex." Sounds like a fine itinerary. I did the dog route in '99, on a very nice couple days in September. Nice sunset at Lunch Counter, gorgeous summit day, very icy/solid coming down, glissading sucked. I'd want to do the south side again much earlier in the year. There were crazy people all over up there, glissading down icy chutes in tennie runners w/ hiking poles in hand. One chute went over a rise, the end of the one bit of glissading we found.. went over a rise, turned way steep and dumped on a pile of rocks. I arrested in the steep bit of the chute, crabbed myself sidewise out of it just in time not to get run over by the next person coming over the rise. Watched a couple folks pile up on the rocks badly, another guy trying to arrest in that chute by sticking his poles in the sides of the chute ahead of him (I was amazed he didn't impale himself or manage to pole vault hisself out in space over the rockpile..). My buddy and I got the hell outta there before we had to spend the rest of the day helping with some rescue ... Oh, and at that icy steep point, I actually donned my crampons, made the descent faster. couple QTVR panoramas and summit shot w/ Hood in the background at http://www.wingren.com/hike/mtadams99/index.html

el Bigfoot

el Bigfoot
PostWed Feb 20, 2002 8:26 pm 
IBEX hath discovered thy hidden parts of the mountain and seldom visited route, me thinks I've met this solo goat climber elsewhere.....or at least watched him from afar in the wilderness and upon they glaciers.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostWed Feb 20, 2002 8:57 pm 
Ibex certainly outlined a neat 4 day trip, one that I wish I had time to do. But for me, and I suspect others, it isn't always easy to get out for that many 4 day trips in a year. Maybe if I didn't work or at least had summers off, didn't have a family, and could always hook-up with friends - then I could see giving 4 days to Adams. Not that there is anything wrong with Adams. I loved my trip up it years ago. To me, there are too many little mountains in the north that are in areas more likely to spend days in. But that's me. Ibex's LOVE of the Cascades comes through in nearly every post. Very cool.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 2:57 pm 
Erik, Your QT movies are verrrrry cool! It looks like you had great weather while there. I wish my trip in 2000 would have been as nice! Thanks for sharing your "secret" loop route, Ibex, I would love to try that one with my 15 year old son.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?