Forum Index > Trail Talk > Off Topic - so you thought...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 6:02 am 
you could loose me on the trail huh? Fat chance. Just 'cause I'm an old fart doesn't mean I can't track you folks down. I got the best hounds around. Well, the ol' 386 with 16 is kinda slow. hee hee Am glad to have found it again and very nice job to all involved. NN wink.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostFri Dec 21, 2001 7:16 am 
Glad you did Newt. Makes me wonder, and I really don't mean any offense to those who so gratiously provide this forum, but there didn't/doesn't seem like there was much of an effort to notify some of the more "fringe" contributors that a change was taking place. I could have easily missed it but I knew there was a vtrail connection. I thought it was suggested that broadening the base of contributors was an objective? Which (finally) brings me to my point. Cascadeclimbers boosts 1500 registrared. Are there really that many more people interested in talking about "climbing" more than hiking? Keeping in mind that many of us "hikers" have done a fair amount of climbing too. How many TT users were there at its peak. Any where near the 1500? Curious.

-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 9:48 am 

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 10:05 am 
Here's a thought -- I don't belong to any climbing/hiking organizations any more, but I think it would be a good idea if someone contacted the Mountaineers and got them to put an item in their monthly magazine/newsletter about us. I bet we'd get some interesting new members who've never heard of TT. Anyone out there who can connect with them?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 11:11 am 
Quote:
I really don't mean any offense to those who so gratiously provide this forum, but there didn't/doesn't seem like there was much of an effort to notify some of the more "fringe" contributors that a change was taking place. I could have easily missed it but I knew there was a vtrail connection. I thought it was suggested that broadening the base of contributors was an objective?
Pappy, the move was not by design. The "free" hosting service for the mtn goat forum (accessboards.com) pulled the plug without notice. There was no advance warning and no way to notify anyone after the fact. We suspected a lot of folks would check back at vtrail and had them update the link asap. Sorry for the confusion but it was not a planned move. Having said that, we now have a permanent home. We will always be at nwhikers.net going forward. That's because mcaver owns the domain name and can re-point it if ever necessary.
Quote:
I think it would be a good idea if someone contacted the Mountaineers and got them to put an item in their monthly magazine/newsletter about us.
As far as contacting other organizations, I would appreciate it if someone would take it upon themselves to volunteer. I'm not a member of the mountaineers or wta so it might make more sense for someone involved with those organizations to be promoting the site. Thanks to allison for the attempts she's made to encourage the wta to link to us, etc. Perhaps when she writes up the "killer gear deals" article she'll remember to point foks to Tom's free bargain sleuth service at the nwhikers.net forums wink.gif.

PostFri Dec 21, 2001 12:28 pm 
Tom, no doubt this was all covered in one of the initial postings that I didn't read. I think this site is great and apologize if it came accross wrong. It dawned on me that I hadn't seen any postings by Cliff. Seemed like a good guy and I enjoyed his postings. But I don't think TT ever had anywhere near the numbers (even if they're not all authentic) of contibutors and topics that cclimbers does. Seems odd to me because I would think there are more "hikers" than "climbers". Maybe someone knows that. Maybe I'm wrong?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 1:32 pm 
I first got here when I saw a link while lurking at REI. I tried vtrails for a few days after the other site went down. It just had a dead link. Tried vtrails again this morn and whopi do dah day. I'm here. I know it was hard to let everyone know what was going on, especially without email addy's so now problem here. Just a lot to catch up on. I belong to the mountaineers so will see what I can do. If anyone else is a member they might try also. They could also post a link back on therir website. Also any of the gear outlet sites that have links may want to provide a link. Happy Trails NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
salish

salish
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 5:13 pm 
Pappy - This is Cliff and I'm here. I've changed my handle to Salish (cause I am) and to be consistent with some other boards I'm on. Maybe I should change it back to Cliff, eh? I'm awfully glad to see this board, as I was afraid the other one had gone the way of trail talk. Just so you can put a face with the name, I'm including a .jpg file of my buddy and I heading into Glacier Basin. I'm the short ugly guy on the right. Regards, Salish (Cliff)

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostFri Dec 21, 2001 6:08 pm 
Heck no. Salish is good! Glad you are here. Have a nice holiday everyone. We're off to spend a few days with the Adams family.

salish

salish
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 11:42 pm 
Thanks PB. Say hello to Pugsly.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.