OK...Here goes an attempt at posting pictures

I think there's an easier way on the far side
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 3:28 pm 
When you figure out how to use flickr, let me know. I'm clueless about such things. I can't figure out how to get my images downloaded to the right size. dizzy.gif Good luck on your research. Keep us posted. We'll be excited to hear/see what you come up with. smile.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Luc

Luc
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 3:36 pm 
this is totally cool. please proceed!

GNGSTR
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 3:44 pm 
GOOD WORK! GOOD WORK! xrbob up.gif up.gif up.gif I'm so excited. hockeygrin.gif I see Promise Creek trail really did exist and it crossed back and forth across the creek on the way to high camp. And Man-inna-hilz can see Tshletsky (if he can stop looking at his pretty new bride wink.gif ) I want to see more you hear, More! lol.gif This is great!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
geobob

geobob
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 5:20 pm 
Glad you like the pics! I guess I can continue to post "close up" photos of small portions of the map, but I'd still like to figure out how to get the whole thing digitized at a resolution that can be cropped as desired. Where is Promise Creek? I can't find it. More to follow...probably tomorrow as I need natural light to take the photos.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 5:46 pm 
Promise Creek is a right bank trib of N.F. Quinault. The old trail used to intersect with Skyline Trail (Queets-Quinault Ridge), southwest of Hee Haw Pass. Last year I could see remnants/game trail in upper Promise basin that I wanted to believe was part of the old trail, since many of the old trails started out as game trails and are probably still used by game. Thanks much for all your efforts so far. I imagine that is a lot of work... especially with not wanting to damage your map and all, with more creasing. Hope you have a great evening!

Phil

Phil
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 8:18 am 
Good work xrbob! up.gif I like the spur trail you can see coming off the S Fk Skok, aiming for Wonder, and the spur off the Dry Creek trail heading towards "Timber", wa-hoo!

geobob

geobob
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 1:08 pm 
ok..Here's what I have come up with. This morning I took 38 digital photos of fairly small portions of the map; I systematically covered the whole map. These photos are a little over 1 kilobyte. Some are rather gray looking as the lighting wasn't that great yet. Next I took the map down to Staples where they have a large format copier/scanner. I taped the seams togethe enough so that I thought it might run through the machine ok. It went through fine. I scanned both the front and back at 400 dpi and saved the scan as both a tiff file and pdf file (jpeg was not an optyion). I also made full size copies of both sides of the map. The copies came out real crisp and clear. They are black black and white, so I lost the red. In my opinion, that doesn't isn't a big deal. Staples burned a cd with the tiff and pdf files. After uploading the files to my computer, I found I could save the tiff files as jpeg files, which I did. The tiff files are about 16 megabytes in size and the jpegs turned out to be about 30 mb. The tiff and jpeg files are at a resolution where relatively small portions of the map can be cropped and viewed or printed with little loss of resolution. So, that's where I'm at now. I think next I'll try uploading the jpeg to flickr after resizing and see what happens. If it looks at all usable, I'll post it here.

geobob

geobob
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 1:17 pm 
1930 ONF Map
Well...Here is the resized jpeg of the entire map.

geobob

geobob
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 1:21 pm 
Correction...the digital photos that I took of the map are about 1,000 kilobytes each, not 1 kilobyte.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 4:12 pm 
You did a great job taping all those pictures together! up.gif That must have been some effort. Is there any chance I could buy a copy of the entire map from you? Thanks, GGW

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 4:28 pm 
If the individual files are less than 1.5 MB each it would be better to upload them to imageshack.us instead of flickr as there are no restrictions on viewable size with imageshack (largest size you can display with flickr is 1280 pixels wide or tall for free accounts).

geobob

geobob
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 5:50 pm 
Goats: I think there is some confusion; I didn't tape together the 38 digital photos that I took of the map. I decided to go ahead and tape the torn seams on the original and then I ran the original through the scanner at Staples ( I was holding my breath). Afterwards, I carefully removed the tape (It's my understanding that over time scotch tape can discolor the original..I think some sort of acid reaction). Tom: Thanks for the info about imageshack. If there is interest, I'll try to post the 38 digital photos here using imageshack.

geobob

geobob
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 6:26 pm 
1930 ONP Map
Here are 9 digital images of the 1930 ONF map. They provide complete coverage of the entire map. I'm not sure if the resolution is high enough to really be usable, but thought I'd post them anyway since I had previously uploaded them to flickr.
PA050048
PA050048
PA050049
PA050049
PA050050
PA050050
PA050051
PA050051
PA050052b
PA050052b
PA050053b
PA050053b

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 6:41 pm 
Too small for me. What are the original dimensions? Uploading to imageshack may offer adequate resolution at their original size. Also, as far as the scans, are the tiff files 16 mb each or in total? Or is it just one file?