Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Washington CCC History
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Nov 27, 2005 7:10 am 
PHOTOS WYOMING CCC
Here are old photo's of the CCC in western Wyoming. http://www.sublette.com/history/ccc/

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Nov 27, 2005 10:02 am 
Enigma wrote:
If I recall correctly, the CCC also fought against a particular disease that affected white pines in the Mount Rainier area. How, I don't know, and for how long, I don't know either. This was a random tidbit I learned in my Env. Science/20th Century history class.
The CCC was helpful in controlling the spread of White Pine Blister Rust. The disease is an imported fungus brought from Europe. Commercially it effects White Pines but alternate host are found on currants and gooseberry plants. The CCC went out during the 30's in patrols in an attempt to eradicate the Ribes plants which serve as infected hosts. I spoke with an elderly man who had been part of the program. People would go off into the forest with long spools of string. It was the job of those eradicating the plants to pull up every single currant or gooseberry found between the strings. The fungus is easy to see on the underside of the leaves affected. The spores released travel by wind to the dampened stomata of White Pine needles and the infection starts.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 15, 2005 8:56 am 
HIGH BRIDGE GUARD STATION
http://www.nps.gov/noca/Highbridgemgt/sec3.htm

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostSat Apr 08, 2006 9:59 am 
just found out a few days ago that the picnic shelter at Lincoln-Eldridge Park in Tacoma was a CCC Building built in the 30's. Park is right by Lincoln High School, so of course the building has seen better days.. This is off Thompson Ave. and 38th ST.

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon May 01, 2006 10:13 pm 
Hey, LookOut Bob Look
The CCC built this lookout in 1938 on Chelan Butte.
lookout11
lookout11
Now it rests on the highway from Wenatchee to Chelan in Entiat, Wa.. The wildest windstorm since 1978 on Saturday night blew off a few shutter boards on this National Historic Landmark.
shutters
shutters

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 pm 
This link goes to a Wiki article about CCC history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_Conservation_Corps

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Oct 11, 2007 1:34 pm 
My grandfather was in the CCCs in the 1930s over in Naches, and he built the old Naches ranger station. My dad graduated from Naches high school in 1939 while the family lived over there. An interesting read. They did a lot of good work for damn little money, but the things they accomplished are still visible today in many areas. Old picnic tables, foot bridges, road bridges...they built that stuff to last.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 5:34 am 
CCC 75th Anniversary: http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=15&sid=82025 http://www.ccclegacy.org/75th_anniversary.htm

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostThu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 pm 
polecatjoe wrote:
There's a great Interpretive Center about the C.C.C. at Bowman Bay in Deception Pass State Park. Lots of historical pieces, a video and statue.
C.C.C. statue at Bowman Bay
C.C.C. statue at Bowman Bay
I visited this little CCC museum about 10 years ago. Stumbled across it while spending the day at Deception Pass with friends and ended up spending a couple hours there. I was more touched by it, and by the stories of the men involved, than by nearly any other museum exhibit I've ever seen. It made a deep impression such that I've been telling people about it ever since. If ever there was a win-win-win idea/program - for the country, for wilderness areas, and for the men and their families - the CCC was it. Good thread and thanks for the bump about the anniversary.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Aug 21, 2008 9:21 pm 
The CCC was given the Harvey Bell Award by the PBTA in 2007, in recognition for thier excellent trail work. A nice article about the CCC is here, with a picture of Walt Bailey too! up.gif http://www.trailbuilders.org/resources/harvey_bell_award.html I pointed out the signature trail construction sections to S.T. on the Bear Lake trail. The CCC trails on Mountain Loop highway all look similar, with nice small smooth gravel laid down flat on a raised bed, with drainage ditches down both sides, wonderful to walk on.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 6:18 am 
captain jack wrote:
A nice article about the CCC is here
Thanks! This picture was in the article.
CCC Anniversary
CCC Anniversary
It almost looks military with the parade ground and flag pole. Or, perhaps like a Boy Scout Summer camp. An uncle of mine headed up one of those CCC camps here in the NW. He was assigned the job as he was some sort of officer in the Navy. I wonder if they had a flag raising ceremony in the morning, a little marching, inspections, etc.?

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 7:44 am 
I stumbled upon this guy in Shenandoah National Park this spring. Apparently his name is "Iron Mike", he represents all of the C.C.C. workers, and there are 40 of these statues at various locations around the country. I have now found 2! I've been to the location of 2 other ones, but before the statues were there.
C.C.C. statue in Shenandoah National Park
C.C.C. statue in Shenandoah National Park
For a mere $18,800 (plus shipping) you can install "Iron Mike" at a location of your choice. Iron Mike

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 7:47 am 
Here's a story on the CCC Camp Skagit on Bacon Creek HistoryLink.org

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 8:04 pm 
That is a fine bronze statue! We should have one on Mather Memorial Parkway (SR 410) because it is a beautiful road built by the CCC. Maybe on the top of Chinook Pass or Sunrise.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Nov 13, 2008 6:39 am 
Memories of Hard Times in Oregon
This is an article about The Great Depression in Oregon. http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/1651983-35/story.csp "The Civilian Conservation Corps, created to provide work for legions of unemployed young men, cut trails, built roads, bridges, ranger stations and campgrounds.."
Timberline Lodge Mt Hood.
Timberline Lodge Mt Hood.
Hart Mt. Oregon CCC Camp.
Hart Mt. Oregon CCC Camp.