Forum Index > Food & Grub > Energy Drinks and such
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 6:07 pm 
I'm confused about some of the claims made by the sellers of these energy drinks. For example, 5-Hour Energy says their product has no sugar, no net carbs and only 90 calories and yet provides enough energy for 5 hours. Of course, they also say that being tired is only in your head huh.gif So I'm thinking that this is good stuff for staying awake in my cube all day but pretty much worthless for getting up the hill. I have used GU before and as long as I'm sucking down 1 every half hour or so, they seem to really help on the hard stretches. Any other thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 6:15 pm 
The secret ingredient in all those energy products is caffeine, and lots of it.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 6:23 pm 
I've found regular food and water works fine. You pay a lot for the cool packaging and neato marketing in Outside Magazine.

dgleighton
What the...

dgleighton
What the...
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 7:33 pm 
I agree with the last post. I eat a lot and drink a lot on climbs and hikes. I do power down 16 to 32 oz. of Gator Aid for a bit of recovery at camp and have found Cliff Blocks or Shots to work pretty well through out the day. But I do think in all cases regular water is a major key.

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 8:18 pm 
The power drinks are only a few ounces so I don't think they're claiming to be a sub for water. But what they do claim is that they provide energy. My limited understanding of real energy though is simply...calories. The type of calorie makes a difference obviously - complex carbs vs simple carb and all that. So I'd think a 90 calorie "Energy" drink really stretches the definition. I do cliff and gu too, but it takes a lot more than one per every 5 hours to provide real energy when you're on difficult terrain.

dgleighton
What the...

dgleighton
What the...
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 9:53 pm 
This is a topic that is more complex than "I sleep hot and don't need a 0 degree sleeping bag." But everyone is made differently and all of our bodies respond differently. I have tried all types of combo's to keep my energy, prevent dehydration, cramping, etc... And have found for me that if I keep plenty of water and fuel (some combo of food as I said Cliff Shots and Mojo Bars, Snickers Bars, fruit, smoked salmon and cheese on a bagel or hard roll) I do well on 5 mile approaches as well as 15 hour hike/climbs. So for me it is about the intake of water and food!

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 10:04 pm 
Energy drinks....high fructose and mega caffeine with a touch of herbals in an overpriced can with fancy graphics. For a lot cheaper you can slam down some ginseng and Guarana with a mtn dew for about the same effect and same ingredients. I personally like a peanut butter sandwich, chocolate chip cookies, plenty of water, and I take a ginseng capsule in the morning of the hike with my tea, and take along a couple of Guarana and Timed Release Energy Boost caps(basically timed B12 ginseng and Guarana, Kola, tea and a couple other herbs) which I get for cheap from Swansonvitamins. Weight of taking along the supplements, almost nothing and just enough buzz to keep me from caffeine crashing during a long day of hiking. But then I NEVER drink coffee, only tea, so I am pretty sensitive to caffeine. Oddly I do like a mtn dew back at the car for my once a week dietary transgression. But the crash is too fast to use it actually on the hike. Your mileage WILL vary.....

friluftsliv