Forum Index > Trail Talk > Signs - information that might surprise you
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 10:19 pm 
Just north of the Tolt pipeline near Stossel Creek.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 10:30 pm 
Oh brother. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 10:31 pm 
What is a snag creation area? This reminds me of a friend that lives in Monroe. In a nearby lot they (the city, or the developers) moved in tree trunks in order to create a type of wetland. You never would have guessed the tree trunks had been moved there...

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSun Mar 03, 2002 9:17 am 
I have seen signs like that while bicycling in the Snoqualmie tree farm. They are around the lakes there where due to logging restrictions now on cutting trees around the lake some tall trees are left. When all the others are cut down and the wind blows, there is nothing to stop it so the ones left break off and fall down creating falling snags. There is probably liability so they post signs.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Mar 03, 2002 10:42 am 
About once a year I hike with a logger who lives in Darrington. I met him at the top of Whitehorse five years ago. When I last climbed with him he said he had a job working with the state to create snags. He said it was to provide habitat for various cavity dwellers (like Spotted Owls). The tree apparently is then more appealing to woodpeckers that start the process of creating nesting sites. He was a little surprised though that the state was paying him to "take perfectly good trees and top them." The state had specifications about the branches being cut to within a certain lenght from the tree and how far off the ground the topping should be. If you want to know more you can send me a message and I will give you his phone number. I plan on climbing Jumbo with him later on this year.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Mar 03, 2002 4:09 pm 
Awesome! We thought it was somebody's really good practical joke. agree.gif I agree with your lumberman friend, though. When we can't afford to maintain trails or keep urban parks open, why the heck are we paying for programs that nature can handle nicely without our assistance? (I feel the same way about tearing up roads.)

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Mar 04, 2002 9:28 am 
Weyerhaeuser has tested the creation of snags around key wildlife areas where few or none exist on the Snoqualmie Tree Farm. They tried girdling the trees with saws or propane torches. Wildlife trees are left during the course of logging (required by state law) but they are often not the optimal size, species or location. Many good snags are felled during logging because of safety reasons. Cutters and machinery have to maintain clearance around these objects.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."