Forum Index > Food & Grub > Increasing Endurance - Looking for tips on increasing endurance
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostMon Mar 04, 2002 11:32 am 
I agree with Mike Collins that the physical preparation is the key to increasing endurance. I have always felt that to get in shape for your sport is to do your sport! There is no substitute for mileage and vertical on a regular basis. Aerobic training (running, biking, hiking) during the week will improve and keep your "wind" up. Weight training is also important for helping to build up endurance in your legs, and exercising those opposing muscle groups (sore knees? try leg extensions and hamstring curls). But the best physical conditioning in the world won't get you over 30 miles and 10,000 feet in a day without a good supply of fuel (food). The right kinds of foods, and a balanced variety of foods, plus plenty of liquids, will help you beat "the bonk".

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 04, 2002 3:55 pm 
Best sports drink: Frozen concentrate orange juice. It has more calories and carbohydrates than gatorade! I put one of those suckas in my water bladder and make sure I take a sip every 15 minutes when I am out there. It keeps me going!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostMon Mar 04, 2002 7:18 pm 
Allison what are you talking about? My pack is much lighter since I began leaving the outboard motor and cement mixer at home.

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Mar 04, 2002 9:36 pm 
cement mixer...yes, there is nothing like having a level platform for your tent.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 07, 2002 7:20 pm 
Damian, as long as you've still got the bowling ball, the telephone booth, and the stained glass candle lantern (not kidding about the last one), you're OK with me.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods