Forum Index > Food & Grub > Any Dutch oven campcooking enthusiasts here?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Dec 23, 2007 8:28 pm 
Who likes to cook with a Dutch oven when car-camping or canoe/kayak camping or horsepacking? Willing to put forth any good recipes or tips? I recommend using and recoating the Dutch oven with spraycan oil to avoid rust and to keep the oven seasoned. A shovel is always necessary for wood coals or charcoal briquettes. A big leather glove and tongs is good for briquettes. Briquettes have the best, nice, even heat but I hate to buy and pack them. I've even taken my small, 1 quart Dutch with me on the airplane, in checked luggage to use when living out of a tiny rental car. It's great for grilled cheeses or bagels or deep frying when it's hot when there's flames but no coals. My recipe for Sonoran style enchilada casserole ingredients package of corn tortillas some cheddar cheese can of green chilis can of enchilada sauce can of refried beans Grease up the Dutch well. Lay down a corn tortilla. Place alternating layers of cheese, beans and green chilis on tortillas. Pour some enchilada sauce half way down. Keep stacking on cheese, beans and chilis. Dump the rest of the can of enchilada sauce over top. Bake for atleast 20 minutes in Dutch oven. About 12 briquettes on top and just 5 on the bottom. Other dishes that worked well in the Dutch oven when car-camping. -cornbread (plain and with chili & cheese) -pizza -soup with dumplings -blue & ruffed grouse, chukar, quail in autumn -Spanish rice -pancakes -breaded, fried smoked and regular canned oysters -biscuits (OK quality. It always varied) -potato, onion, pepper, garlic with spices mixture -cobbler (canned fruit topped with cake mix; very sweet so go easy) Wind blows away heat off top of the oven. This is something to consider when cooking when it's windy. Protect the oven from wind! The 1 quart Dutch (now hard to find) fits well over the old Camping Gaz Bluet stove burner for pancakes, sauteing and general cast iron skillet use.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 pm 
I read a book on this subject while at Outdoor Emporium. It was the only interesting thing in the store. I had not previously heard of this method of cooking. It seems like one of those things where people have a 'secret' method of getting things just right.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Dec 24, 2007 12:04 am 
Dutch ovens make yummy chili with cornbread and delicious desserts. Last month I had the pleasure of partaking in both meals prepared on the beach with a dutch oven and they were absolutely *wonderful*. One needs to consider the weight of a dutch oven for a longer trip - these things are very heavy.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Dec 24, 2007 12:53 am 
Some have suggested that two down bags, zipped together, would be an ample and lightweight setup for treating one's hiking friends to some "dutch oven" goodness. hockeygrin.gif The Schmidts may even argue that I was able to provide a similar experience from the next tent over. I, however, place the full blame on the Chili Mac and Cheese that Jeremy foisted upon us. devilsmile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 24, 2007 8:12 am 
We had a demonstration of dutch oven cooking at one of our huckleberry camps. I use cast iron at home and use olive oil to season the iron with. Never "fry" jalepeno peppers indoors. It was like mild pepperspray had gone off in the kitchen. The dog wanted out, I wanted out, and then, hours later, I rubbed my eyes with my hands and owie! Curse you Sunset Magazine...actually, I couldn't find Anaheim peppers in our local store so substituted jalepenos. Bad move.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
strider

strider
PostMon Dec 24, 2007 11:13 am 
Dutch ovens need to happen in conjunction with campfires. Steaks grilled over coals are also a campfire requirement. Why does grilling a steak belong in a thread about dutch ovens, one might ask? Well, when it's time to grill my steak, I put it the slab in a lightweight "clamshell" grill. The grill simplifies seasoning, turning, careful placement to apply just the right heat, and so on.... The little clamshel grill is virtually never in use when the dutch oven is a'buildin. The grill becomes the perfect little shovel for scooping up hot coals. Tap it against a log to knock off the ashes and dust, then it is easy to precisely deposit your nice, "fresh" glowing coals on top of the oven. Ya gotta be careful tho - it's so easy to do that it becomes easy to overdo, and you risk singed crust on the cornbread....

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Dec 24, 2007 10:04 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I had not previously heard of this method of cooking. It seems like one of those things where people have a 'secret' method of getting things just right.
I first saw Dutch ovens in Boy Scouts. It was a tradition of one Scoutmaster to make us cobbler for dessert. Then, a few years ago a classmate who used to be a river raft guide in Idaho talked about how he used to nest several Dutch ovens when cooking for clients. BTW, one of his clients was Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. My classmate said Justice Scalia got over-inebriated one night and they had to help him back to his tent which was a challenge because he's a rather large man. Dutch oven cooking is forgiving. It's hard to burn food all the way through because the metal is so thick. But, it does take a little practice and trial & error like any other type of cooking.
seawallrunner wrote:
One needs to consider the weight of a dutch oven for a longer trip - these things are very heavy.
There are aluminum Dutch ovens for river trips or pack trips when weight is more of an issue. Since aluminum does not conduct heat as well as iron they must not cook as well.
Dayhike Mike wrote:
some "dutch oven" goodness.
Or when you're on the Oregon, Applegate or California Trail or any place you can seal them in you can give someone a "Covered Wagon". biggrin.gif
treeswarper wrote:
Never "fry" jalepeno peppers indoors
No, but they're pretty good in a Dutch oven Chili Relleno Casserole made of canned large chili peppers stuffed with white cheddar cheese, then covered with powdered egg batter and and canned salsa!
treeswarper wrote:
Curse you Sunset Magazine
Loggers read Sunset magazine?! lol.gif
strider wrote:
The little clamshel grill is virtually never in use when the dutch oven is a'buildin. The grill becomes the perfect little shovel for scooping up hot coals.
That's a good idea. The clamshell grill looks good for making grilled cheese sandwiches and things like that. But to scoop coals, it'd be multi-use. --also-- Aldo Leopold wrote about cooking quail in their Dutch ovens on a trip to the Lower Colorado River in an essay in Sand County Almanac. I read somewhere that there's a Dutch Oven Creek in the Old Cascades on the Willamette National Forest, Oregon where some early explorers had a pack train accident and the beloved Dutch tumbled down a cliff and cracked far below, a true tragedy.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostSat Dec 29, 2007 12:16 am 
Love my dutch ovens and cast iron skillets. When we do the annual car camping vacation in the summer with the kids, we make it a point to cook on the fire for breakfast and dinner. My wife has actually become quite proficient with the ovens. We've done some great breakfast hash scrambles and ribs in barbeque sauce for dinner. The hard part with the ovens is keeping the fire maintained if your not using charcoal. I have seen the cake mix cobbler burnt to a crisp by another cook, but that was due to impatience and not letting the fire burn down to coals. Scouter

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy
salish

salish
PostThu Jan 03, 2008 7:32 am 
I asked Santa for 12" dutch for Christmas, but he didn't deliver. I think I'll just go ahead and buy one at Joes. I've been told that the ovens made by Lodge are the best, but I see they come in regular (need to be seasoned) and "pre-seasoned". I actually saw the Lodge pre-seasoning process on some history channel show, or some other cable channel. Is there a good reason to season your own or is buying a pre-seasoned oven a good idea? Or is it just laziness on the customer's part? I went on a kayak trip down the Colorado River the summer before last and the host was a veteran dutch oven cook. His dinners were the highlight of each day! Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostThu Jan 03, 2008 7:50 am 
For those that have no weight restrictions and can bring a small crane while camping: http://www.macaovens.com/22in.htm My Father has this on his Xmas list every year, just in case his 6 Dutch Ovens weren't enough lol.gif