Forum Index > Trail Talk > mt. sigh
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Al Readyenuf

Al Readyenuf
PostThu Mar 07, 2002 9:32 pm 
Si Is ---- Si is boring, Si is bad, All those switchbacks make me mad, Right, then left, right left right, Zig zag zig, Oh! What a sight! Mouth so parched, lips so dry, There's little water on Mt. Si, If you have hiked this trail twice, It's once too many--take my advice, 4 miserable miles to see North Bend! lol.gif It's sure not Washington's Venice, friend, shakehead.gif But with hordes of people here and there, You'd be better off in St. Mark's Square, Hiking solo where please... or in a group with Ricky Steves, So take a hike, have some fun, But do Si once, then call it "done". agree.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 11:29 am 
I like Mount Si! It's an old friend. Heck, I still remember my FIRST trip up Mount Si about 20 years ago. It took us a long time to get up there but we felt like we had climbed a REAL mountain. Many trips up and down since that first one. Sometimes after work on a summer evening and coming down by headlamp. In the Mountaineers scrambling class we used to lead Mount Si as a "conditioner" for students and it was funny because the students that showed up for it didn't need it -- they were already in good shape. The students that needed it, of course, never showed up. Ten years ago if you went up the mountain in 2 hours you were considered to be in good shape. Now, I've noticed, they changed that -- now they say you are in moderately good shape. They keep upping the ante!! It's not a place to go when you want solitude but it's great for exercise and you never know who you'll run into. For exercise AND solitude hike the road system up to Teneriffe. I don't time myself anymore I used to ... I just go as fast as I can and stop when I'm tired.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 12:35 pm 
Agree. Guess this falls into the catagory of "be thankful for what we have". This could be Iowa...

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 1:02 pm 
Guess that means I'm only in moderately good shape. Oh well.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 2:21 pm 
Mt. Si was the very first trail I hiked when I moved to Washington State. Two "friends" said, "hey, have we got a trail for you to do" Yep, it was Mt. Si (back in the days when it was safe to leave your car at the trailhead and not worry about it being prowled). I remember it as a great hike and my friends talked me into going up to the top of the haystack. Sweet. A few years later, a friend of mine and myself went up in early February and camped in the snow. We had a great spot to watch planes flying in and out of Seattle all night. I loved the poem but I have to disagree, once is not enough. I now live in Kennewick and really wish I had a Mt. Si close enough for early season conditioning but it often seems that some of you just might take what you have over there for granted sometimes. dizzy.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160

PostFri Mar 08, 2002 2:34 pm 
When I first hiked the Cascades in the mid 70's I used to compare my times to those noted in the guide book. Always beat them. Then I found out that just about everyone else beat the guide book times too! biggrin.gif Now we have people setting records. Flying up Si in WAY under an hour. My best was about 1hr 20 min, and as I recall I was moving right along- but I wasn't out to set a record. I was just curious of my time. I think the activity becomes something other than hiking when times become so important.

Hiker dude

Hiker dude
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 6:30 pm 
Hey, there are other good conditioner hikes than Mt Si, if you like variety. Mt Persis, Mt Dickerman, Mt Pilchuck, Tiger Mt come to mind. There, now you have Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, and Fri covered and can go do the Pickets on the weekends.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster