Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Phil

Phil
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 pm 
I'm reading Tim Willocks: The Religion. Fiction surrounding the siege of Malta. Swords, cannon, axes, guns, maces, battles, gore, filth, death, love, sex. Very very good writing. I am buying it for some folks I know, and telling everyone I know about it, hence this post.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 9:06 pm 
The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. It was rated as the best adventure non-fiction by National Geographic. It's about Sir Walter Falcon Scott's expedition to the South Pole. I can't imagine spending a couple of years doing something like that.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 9:14 pm 
Chief Joseph & the Flight of the Nez Perce by Kent Nerburn. This account of the Chief Joseph tragedy engages the reader into the world of the Nez Perce tribe's poignant saga.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 9:48 pm 
I just finished Tony Hillerman's latest mystery, "The Shape Shifter." I don't know if he intended it that way, but I figured out the mystery only 1/4 way through the book. The only suspense remaining was how the situation would be resolved, which I didn't find much of a surprise. On the other hand, it contains plenty of Hillerman's lyrical descriptions of southwest scenery and Navaho mythology. Previous to that, I read Colleen McCullough's "Antony and Cleopatra." No outdoors connection here, but the descriptions of Octavian's (later Augustus') propaganda machine were chillingly similar to the 21st century! McCullough originally cut off her "Masters of Rome" series at a most unresolved moment in "The October Horse," and I was glad to see her come up with this final novel, which ends when Octavian is given the title "Augustus," thus confirming his status as absolute monarch. All the novels in that series: "First Man in Rome," "Grass Crown," "Fortune's Favorites," "Caesar's Women," "Caesar," "The October Horse" and "Antony" should be read in order. McCullough is not always historically accurate, but she does document in her afterwords and glossaries where and why she departs from the accepted historical accounts. Her medical knowledge (she's a former professor of neurology) led her to put quite a different interpretation on Caesar's "epilepsy" than most historians give. The whole series is a great read and will give you considerable insight into the world of 110-27 BC, which covers the downfall of the Roman republic and the rise of empire. As I've said, this period is amazingly and frighteningly similar to our own. With the Jane Austen series coming up on PBS' Masterpiece Theatre (the first, "Persuasion," is this Sunday night), it's time for my annual reread of her six novels. I'm not too sure why they are starting with her last (and, IMHO, her best) novel, but I suspect it may have something to do with wanting to show "Pride and Prejudice" during the February sweeps. All are new BBC productions except for "Pride and Prejudice," which is the three-part (6-hour) classic with Colin Firth that brought Britain to a standstill when originally broadcast in, I believe, 1995.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 10:15 pm 
a bit on the girly side but i just finished eat, pray, love by elizabeth gilbert. pretty good. working on convincing my husband to tour italy by motorcycle-ducati! finished the bourne series right before the holidays.........better than the movies, of course. next is long way round by ewan mcgregor and charley boorman. we enjoyed the ducu-movie...thought it best to read the book, too. anyway, boorman rides a ducati! makes it #1 for that reason alone biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 pm 
'Somatics' by Thomas Hanna. The subtitile is 'Reawakening the mind's control of movement, flexibility, and health. I am totally digging it. He talks a lot about the myth of aging, specifically how people really believe that they have to suffer as they get older.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
finished the bourne series right before the holidays.........better than the movies, of course.
God I hope so. I'm reading my son's high school chemistry textbook. I must've quit Chemistry once I knew I was headed to a music college, 'cause there's stuff in there I don't remember learning before. Although some of it, like enthalpy, I happened to learn between then and now by working with chemical engineers, on their software. Before this I read C. J. Cherryh's The Faded Sun. Which was enough fiction for me for a while. I don't seem to have the appetite for fiction, even sci-fi, that I did 30 years ago.

-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 pm 

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 pm 
Just finished The Poisonwood Bible. Best book I've read in a LOOOOONG time, and not at all what I expected. Now on to Kite Runner (and also on the side Sons of the Profits - an interesting take on Seattle's early history).

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 10:54 pm 
Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome, and also Nutrition for Dummies (which is ironic as hell, for someone like me) as well as selection of books about trees and forests & how it all fits together. Also College Accounting by Douglas McQuaid (which is even more ironic embarassedlaugh.gif ). I tried reading Nabokov's Lolita again; I enjoyed it once, years ago; but not this time.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 11:00 pm 
Quote:
The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard
I really enjoyed that book too, especially the part where they go off to steal the penguin eggs. There is just something about reading non-fiction accounts of extreme human misery that just make you feel a whole lot better. I just got finished reading At the Sharp End by Tim Cook which is about frontline soldiers in WWI trenches. Horrific and yet a superb read.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 11:02 pm 
The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2007 and No Shortcut to the Top

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Yet

Yet
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 11:12 pm 
Tonight, it's my Pharmacology book by Lehne. Highly recommended! up.gif

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 11:15 pm 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
I'm reading Harriet Tubman's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" for the first time.
Don't you mean Harriet Beecher Stowe? dizzy.gif Its Pride and Prejudice for me... good ol' AP Literature

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 11:17 pm 
The Grapes of Wrath, plus NWhikers.net discussion forums, and the back of the cereal box.