Forum Index > Food & Grub > Article up on Backpacker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 8:53 am 
Jimmy..if you waited till summer you could do it in a sunny breezy area. People used to do that. Otherwise....check out www.harmonyhousefoods.com - I love this company. They sell nearly every veggie you could want, cooked and dehydrated beans, lentils and flavored TVP. The Super Sampler is the way to go up.gif One order could make a gourmet cook out of nearly anyone smile.gif (And everything but the green beans will work in freezer bag style meals.)

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 9:04 am 
Woo Hoo for You! Good going SB. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 am 
Thanks Sarbar for the recipes. Out X-c skiing last week I tried your creamy potato soup recipe. The only thing that could of made it better was some hot cider to drink with it. biggrin.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Mikey

Mikey
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 3:12 pm 
Where are Sarbar's recipes? Hot Creamy potato soup sounds "yummy" !!!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 3:16 pm 
Not sure if this is the recipe used: Creamy Potato Soup Mix: At home mix up in a bowl: 2 cups instant mashed potatoes 1 3/4 cups instant dry milk 1/2 cup shelf stable Parmesan cheese 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken, beef or vegetable bouillon 2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes 1 Tablespoon dried parsley 1 teaspoon granulated garlic 1/2 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon dried thyme Divide the soup mix up by 1/2 cup dry portions. Depending on if you will be using freezer bags or a mug to have your soup in, pack in quart freezer bags or sandwich bags. In camp, add 1 cup boiling water and stir till smooth. Serves 1 per bag. Notes: Creamy Potato Soup mix is a great way to get a potassium rich meal into you when you are so tired you can't face eating. It is easy to mix up, and quite affordable. Carry a packet or two with you in your food bag, as a backup for cold evenings as well. It rehydrates easily in a freezer bag or in your mug. Anyhoo, lots of recipes up on my website, more in the book mentioned in the article and I am editing book 2 currently smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 3:25 pm 
That is the recipe I used sarbar, I am sure Mikey will like it. Ised the beef bullion option and thyme from the snow buried garden. Just use that link at the bottom sarbar's posts and the options abound winksmile.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Mikey

Mikey
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am 
Many Many Thanks Sarbar!!!! It sounds soooo good!!! Is the book mentioned in the Backpacker article "Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple" by Sarah Kirkconnel ? Mike in Seattle (planning on about going "snow sampling" very soon).