Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > An end to fee demo?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 7:16 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 10:11 pm 
Eeeeeweee! That would be awesome if it DID end! Great find pb!

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 7:05 am 
HA! As I always suspected. It costs a ton just to collect and check. Another gov't farce. I'm actually not against the fee, but if they are going to make us pay then have it effective for all gov't sites including WA nat'l parks. Don't make us pay another fee to go somewhere else in the state.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 7:16 am 
I will believe it when I see it. We are running a near $500,000,000,000 deficit with no end in sight. At most expect a cease of trail maintainence and a reduced fee. rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 8:15 am 
Dudes! Get real. We gotta pay for Iraq through the fee demo program!

Art is an adventure.
Larry

Larry
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 9:29 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I will believe it when I see it. We are running a near $500,000,000,000 deficit with no end in sight. At most expect a cease of trail maintainence and a reduced fee. rolleyes.gif
500 billion. Makes my stomach lurch.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:44 am 
I'd love to see the fee go but I don't have any confidence that Congress or the Pres. will allot money for recreation programs (ie trail maintenance). Unless they figure out how they are going to maintain trails BEFORE they cancel the demo, I'm suspicious. Especially since this Healthy Forest Initiative will be reorienting the FS toward logging, which is not a moneymaker for taxpayers or the FS.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 1:17 pm 
Any discussion about trail maintenance begins with the point that there is not enought money. Maybe that is true. However, the General Accounting Office audit of the Fee Demo program is interesting. The FS recreation budget "not incuding" fee demo money went from $293 million to $390 million from 1999 to 2002. That is a 33.1% increase in 3 years. The Northwest received among the lowest percent increases in that time. Perhaps there was a huge cut in earlier years or some other factor I am not seeing. Still, the budget grew many times faster than the federal budget as a whole just as the fee demo program got started. Just some food for thought. Full GAO report on Fee Demo Program - See page 31 for pdf of chart below.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 1:33 pm 
Boy just in time. Sept. 26th is the first of many court dates I'm not showing up for this year. I suppose if I haven't posted for a while it means I'm serving as an entertainment for the guy with the most cigarette. I don't care if the NFS ever maintains another trail-private interest groups can do it--or just don't do it at all. By advocating for them to do what we would think would be their jobs we created the Trail Park Pass Fee-I really don't know what the hell they do in this area-the PCT does get maintenance but the rest is pretty haphazard-and I don't necessarily expect them to get some of the lesser used trails every year--but once in past 6 years would be nice, too.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 1:37 pm 
I didn't think I have to post the obvious huh.gif moon.gif doh.gif mad.gif bawl.gif but here goes (392 million would not even show up) What is 87 billion

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn