Forum Index > Food & Grub > backpacking food: NOT pasta or rice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 3:13 pm 
something I made for a quick "hey, I'm going camping tomorrow, what am I going to pack"* meal -> thin rice noodles, chopped dried mushrooms, half a boullion cube, and freeze dried tofu (from the Just Tomatoes people) in a ziplock bag. (the method of pouring in hot water, letting it cook, then eat. that made for some tasty soup in the snow!) *I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, so there's lots of reasons I don't put more common things in my food. and this time, I had to scrounge what was in my pantry. the freeze dried tofu was there from last year's backpacking... same with the mushrooms, actually.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 3:36 pm 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
*I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, so there's lots of reasons I don't put more common things in my food. and this time, I had to scrounge what was in my pantry. the freeze dried tofu was there from last year's backpacking... same with the mushrooms, actually.
Just Tomatoes quit making the tofu it seems...but! Eden Foods has it online smile.gif Yay! Btw, I had a Pad Thai soup by Dr. McDougall's company yesterday that was very tasty and it is gluten free smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 3:41 pm 
sarbar wrote:
nuclear_eggset wrote:
*I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, so there's lots of reasons I don't put more common things in my food. and this time, I had to scrounge what was in my pantry. the freeze dried tofu was there from last year's backpacking... same with the mushrooms, actually.
Just Tomatoes quit making the tofu it seems...but! Eden Foods has it online smile.gif Yay! Btw, I had a Pad Thai soup by Dr. McDougall's company yesterday that was very tasty and it is gluten free smile.gif
That's unfortunate to hear about the tofu - I was very pleasantly surprised by the excellent texture it had after sitting for five minutes! Hopefully Eden's will be as good. smile.gif Thanks for the info. Thai Kitchen's pad thai is GFCF too, but I didn't want to buy extra packaging. I really want to be able to freeze dry my own stuff, but oh well! wink.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 3:45 pm 
The packaging on the Dr. Mc Big Cup soups are paper so that is one reason I like them (and that the flavor packet is separate so I can add what I want). They are burnable if you have a fire.No plastic to have to pack out. All it was missing was some tofu..lol! Still, it did inspire me to work this week on a Pad Thai soup so I went shopping this weekend and picked up the things I need. Yum!

ree

ree
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 5:03 pm 
O'Brannigan wrote:
To teach me a lesson for taking a life for no reason, he made me clean, skin, cook and eat that squirrel. A lesson I never forgot.
Wise man, your pop.

ree

ree
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 5:08 pm 
Sarbar, I finally peeped your site. Fantastic! You're our resident expert. up.gif Do fruits/veggies need to cool completely before you vacuum seal them? Does it matter? That minimus website you recommended last year was awesome. I tried those packs of peanut and almond butter... They were terrific. I think I could eat a squirrel. The thought of eating a rat makes me want to vomit. As far as insects go, if Bear can eat a scorpion, I can eat a scorpion.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 5:16 pm 
ree wrote:
Sarbar, I finally peeped your site. Fantastic! You're our resident expert. up.gif Do fruits/veggies need to cool completely before you vacuum seal them? Does it matter? That minimus website you recommended last year was awesome. I tried those packs of peanut and almond butter... They were terrific.
I let everything cool before I store my dried goods smile.gif That way I can double check for any moisture left. An hour is all you need. I freeze anything with fat, meat or dairy in it after I dry it. It will extend the shelf life for a much longer period - you can get 6 months to a year in the freezer with those items. Everything else parks in the pantry. Minimus.biz and harmonyhousefoods.com are two sites I live off of up.gif

hermes

hermes
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 pm 
speaking of eating insects....
Lime bugs are quite delicious. Just lick your finger, tap them and they will stick to your finger - then just lick your finger again! Their color and flavor are the same as those very sweet artificially flavored lime ice pops! Trouble is they are tiny (slightly larger than those red concrete bugs) so it takes an awful lot to make a meal and I think they are only available in parts of Australia - particularly the York Penninsula. Not sure what the correct name for them is.