Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Model of the Mystery Mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostWed Sep 10, 2003 9:12 am 
To my fellow history buffs and mine nuts: In the Woodhouse's Monte Cristo (p. 177), there's mention of a working model of the Mystery Mine, made around the turn of the century by a blacksmith-turned-miner named Mike McNulty. Completely detailed: mules, tramways, airdrills that operated on compressed air, plus mirrors for seeing into the various shafts and tunnels. This marvel apparently toured around the country at fairs and expositions, and ended up who knows where. Do you know where? I'll be contacting the historical societies around here to see if the model still exists, but thought I'd start here on the search, in case any of you have information about this. Thanks.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Sep 10, 2003 11:32 am 
I'd try contacting Woodhouse through his publisher, Oso Publishing. Or contact his fellow mine-exploring buddies at Northwest Underground Explorations, who are also published thru Oso Publ. I bet Rubberlegs/Sawyer could help ya if he is lurking around this website any more, but who knows....?? Let us know what ya find out at any rate 'cause that model sounds pretty cool. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message