Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digital Cameras - recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 12:01 pm 
What kind of digital camera do you guys recommend? I'd like a high quality camera that will take pictures that can be printed up to 8.5x11" and still look high quality. Lightweight would be nice, too. Thanks in advance for any comments/recommendations.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 3:59 pm 
I'm not the expert digital cam guy here....but, I'm betting the whole farm that a lot of members here are going to recommend the Canon D2/D3/D4 lineup...

-lol-

-lol-
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 4:39 pm 

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 5:23 pm 
I think Larry means the Canon G2/G3 stuff, not D.... If you want light weight you'll have to stick to the P&S line like that or the Nikon Coolpix line are the two top choices you'll find probably. Many G2/G3 users on this forum. I use a Coolpix 5000 to compliment my DSLR usage. You'll need to get a 4-5 megapixel range of camera to be most happy with that size of enlargement, so weed down from there to what is out and available for you to buy!! Most importantly: Have fun!!

Larry

Larry
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 5:28 pm 
Alan wrote: I think Larry means the Canon G2/G3 stuff, not D.... Yes, that's what I meant. Now, if I can only figure out why I'm on this computer instead of outside. How about you, Desert Rat? You should AT LEAST be out in your Sno Valley backyard pressing the shutter. embarassedlaugh.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 5:47 pm 
Well sir, I am...on our property...between setting up gold hunts for the kids, building a fort, and and and.... I actually got images today of two new spider-style of webs that I didn't have in my files. Also of a japanese black pine cone. And a pileated woodpecker. But I'm done w/dinner now: pizza is on it's way! Love it when Daddy is in charge ha.gif ha.gif ha.gif

Duncan

Duncan
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 8:56 pm 
Does anyone here have any experience with the Canon A70 or A80 digital cameras? I was looking at buying one of these or the Nikon coolpix 3100 for my first digi-cam. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone! smile.gif

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 9:12 pm 
Check out [url]http://www.dpreview.com/[/url for a variety of fairly comprehensive reviews. Many digital camera reviews can be found there.

-lol-

-lol-
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 9:31 am 

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 10:37 am 
Photo.net seems to be a pretty comprehensive photo site with reviews and forum, etc.- though it could be a tad bewildering to navigate thru at first, IMO.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 4:17 pm 
Another vote for the Nikon Coolpix 5700. If I can take great shots with it, anyone can.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 4:33 pm 
Answers
Hi vistaclimber, Thanks for the info and sample pictures. Here are my answers: 1. I will be taking the pictures for web sites (I know a cheaper camera will do this fine) as well as for printing, for myself, my family, and my friends. I make a family calendar each year using our family backpacking pictures and I may also want to print flyers or brochures sometimes. 2. Subject matter will vary: Landscapes, people, closeups of flowers, insects, etc. 3. Not sure about this - I'm not real experienced with camera equipment. How many pictures can your camera hold at one time? I suppose it takes some kind of picture card? Thanks again.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 4:51 pm 
The number of pictures your camera can hold depends entirely on the size of memory card you buy. We have a 1 gig memory card for the coolpix 5700, and shooting raw data (maximum resolution) we get 130 pictures per card. If we were shooting pictures at a lower resolution we could get a lot more pictures.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 8:52 pm 
Duncan, the Canon A70 is an excellent camera. Basically a mini G1 that uses standard AA batteries. I prefer lithium ion rechargeables to AA for hiking (because of weight), but the latter do have obvious advantages if you run out of juice on the road and don't have a proprietary spare. McFarnell, if you're more a point and shoot guy I'd highly recommend the Canon S400. Very compact and superb picture quality, just ask Dayhike Mike. The primary disadvantage is lack of manual controls, but if you never mess with that stuff the S400 is the way to go for a mini hiking camera.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 11:07 pm 
Oooh, yeah... I *love* my S400. It's fast, compact, lightweight, has great color, and can capture almost 500 shots on a single battery charge. And if you really need it, there is a manual mode with a variety of settings. It's just not as convenient to use as on the higher-end Canon models. smile.gif Not important to me...I find the automatic settings more than sufficient for 95% or more of the shots out there.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short