Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Hey marylou
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 10:02 am 
Most people don't want to leave the trail. For example last time I was in the Tank Lakes area, Williams was MOBBED when I came out. There were a few people in the Necklace, but above the areas served by trails we saw no one. I've only seen another person once in the past few years on the off-trail portion of a hike--and that was one guy at Venus IIRC. I would argue the vast majority of casual hikers don't visit this board, either, so if I post a trip report for a destination that requires off-trail travel, it is not the end of the world... At bottom, everyone has to decide what they are comfortable disclosing. IMO Tom can censor me if he wants to because it is his board and the other members may chastize me because it is a community. If another member chastizes me, then I may censor myself (as I have in the past) or not. BTW I googled the text from Marylou's avatar. I'm heading up there first chance I get wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostWed Oct 01, 2003 10:30 am 
marylou wrote:
Dude. You are doing exactly what you are accusing me of doing by using that picture as my avatar, except for that you are giving out all kinds of information to boot. Enough already! paranoid.gif
want some cheese with that? that has to be the most pathetic post yet. What ever you do, don't ever be humble. You stick to your guns and keep your avatar. Way to be right!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 10:59 am 
What does it mean that Williams was "mobbed"? More people than one ususally sees 6 miles in, or Snow Lake? And how do we separate this from the effect of the news of impending closures? I've *never* seen as many cars parked at the TH as I did this year in my three trips back there. When I was parked at Dingford on the morning of the labor day weekend, in the half hour it took to boot up and finish packing, there was a continuous stream of traffic heading farther back. I think there's an argument to be made that some of this high usage is caused by the closure, and that making the number of folks using the DM route (this year anyway) as an argument for it's overuse and closure is flawed, because the impending closure has *caused* use. I know I did extra trips up there because of it, and I can't be the only one. If I'd been at Williams during DJ's trip, I would have been one of the "mob"!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 11:03 am 
Closed for painting wrote:
Whatever you do, don't ever be humble. You stick to your guns and keep your avatar. Way to be right!
Somehow I suspect that this may be the crux of the issue for you, because if it were really about protecting the place near that avatar picture, you would have sent me a PM about it and/or clammed up a long time ago. lol.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 11:27 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
What does it mean that Williams was "mobbed"? More people than one ususally sees 6 miles in, or Snow Lake?
The former--not Snow Lake. IIRC we counted six tents. Every campsite I saw was being used and some idiot was camped on the meadow on the North side of the lake.
MtnGoat wrote:
And how do we separate this from the effect of the news of impending closures? I've *never* seen as many cars parked at the TH as I did this year in my three trips back there. When I was parked at Dingford on the morning of the labor day weekend, in the half hour it took to boot up and finish packing, there was a continuous stream of traffic heading farther back.
Well, BPJ and I talked to several people on the way out and none of them knew about the closure. It was a big surprise to them. I wonder why the FS didn't just post something at trailheads--or did they?
MtnGoat wrote:
I think there's an argument to be made that some of this high usage is caused by the closure, and that making the number of folks using the DM route (this year anyway) as an argument for it's overuse and closure is flawed, because the impending closure has *caused* use. I know I did extra trips up there because of it, and I can't be the only one. If I'd been at Williams during DJ's trip, I would have been one of the "mob"!
At least part of the use is attributable to the closure. That is why BPJ and I went there instead of a North Cascades destination. But, again, none of the people we talked with even knew about the impending closure. IIRC there were 20+ cars at the road-end trailhead when we came out.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 12:03 pm 
Toyota camry's, VW Jetta's you name it. I wouldnt even take a two wheel drive low rider up there! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed Oct 01, 2003 12:25 pm 
marylou wrote:
Closed for painting wrote:
Whatever you do, don't ever be humble. You stick to your guns and keep your avatar. Way to be right!
Somehow I suspect that this may be the crux of the issue for you, because if it were really about protecting the place near that avatar picture, you would have sent me a PM about it and/or clammed up a long time ago. lol.gif
absolutely correct! just like if you were so concerned about protecting that other place you would have sent me a PM, right?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 12:30 pm 
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Okay, Argumentador, I am done with this conversation. Consider my wrist slapped, but my avatar unchanged.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods