Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 1947 Scout Hike Photo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 7:59 am 
WTA's October gallery has a photo of a scout troop at Charlea Lakes. It was posted by Robert Connell. Some of the packs look bigger than the kids. No metal pack frames back then. 1947 Scout Hike

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RollingB

RollingB
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 8:16 am 
Look like Trapper Nelsons. I saw a couple of teenagers up at Monte Cristo this summer with those. They vowed to get new packs and couldn't understand how they did it back in those days.

"Life Is Not A Journey To The Grave With The Intention Of Arriving Safely In A Pretty And Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Broadside, Thoroughly Used Up, Totally Worn Out, And Loudly Proclaiming ----WOW ----What A Ride!!!" Author Unknown
salish

salish
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 5:44 pm 
Aw, the good old days! Love this pic. If you think the grand old Trapper Nelsons were bad, you should have tried my official BSA Yucca Pack. I lusted after a real TP.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Bob K

Bob K
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 6:58 pm 
I'm not *that* old, but I used a borrowed trapper nelson my first few times out. They weren't very comfortable. I remember my first week-long hike through the Olympics (Dosewallops, Anderson, O'Neil Pass, EF Quinault) when I was eleven. My dad had bought me a lot of stuff "just in case." My pack was so heavy I couldn't even lift it by myself -- two other kids had to help me with it. When I first felt the weight, it almost knocked the wind out of me. I could hardly stand up with it, let alone walk. But walk I did...made it through fine and had a lot of fun.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Oct 17, 2003 1:58 am 
my first pack was a 70's rei cruiser packbag screwed to a homemade wood frame.. i bought the bag at an rei sale in 1975 for $10, and since my dad didn't have proper tools at home for metalworking, wood was the only choice... and it was a merit badge project too. if you could keep the total load below 25-30lbs it wasn't too bad, but more than that and it was very uncomfortable... i covered the frame with one big wrap of mesh, rather than seperate backbands, thinking it would be comfortable...wrong.. so, in 1980 i bought a new jansport. problem solved smile.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 12:34 pm 
Gee, I wonder if I am in that photo. I hiked to Charlia Lakes out of Camp Parsons back in that era. I can't remember for sure what year it was but don't recognize myself in the picture. I don't see any number ten tins hanging from the packs. Those are what we used to cook in.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 12:47 pm 
My stepfather recently passed away and was a Camp Parsons alumni- I was regaled about his scouting exploits back in the 30's on the Olympic peninsula. Hikes right out of the camp up into the mountains, and stories about seeing people hauling sections of cast-iron stoves up to their cabins in crude packs and an episode about escapees from McNeil Island holed up in the mountains and a posse sent up after them.