Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paddy-Go-Easy to Trico--Toasted at the French Pots--8/16-18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 8:08 pm 
With a forecast of thunderstorms for the west side, Tom and I took off for a three day trip on the east side of the crest. Our plan was to traverse the Wenatchee Mountains from Paddy-Go-Easy Pass to Tuck and Robin -- a trip that Big Steve described just recently. From Big Steve's reports, it sounded like conditions were good to go. We left Issaquah a little before 6am, and were out of the car and on the trail by 8am Saturday morning. We made good time in rising to P-G-E and found the remnants of the mining trail across the bluff at 6000'. Note to self: next time, if it's hot and sunny out, follow Ragman and Rodman's track, leaving the trail around 5800' and traversing in trees under the red rock cliffs rather than gaining then losing then gaining elevation on hot talus rock. We arrived at the broad 6100' pass around noon and found the snowfields that Big Steve had mentioned. The snowfield at the north end of the gap was almost gone, but the one at the south end was still relatively large and we were able to take advantage of all of the melt. From there, the route is relatively flat, traversing the eastern flanks of 6564' and gradually traversing up to the saddle east of Sherpani. We looked down at but didn't attempt the direct route down to the French Potholes (directly under the "T" in WENATCHEE on the 24K Topos, talk about poor placement!) but instead followed Big Steve's route, dropping over to the west side of 6520', descending 400' or so til we reached the talus field and then running that up to the saddle above the French Potholes. After the long hot day and many hours on talus, I was completely toasted -- delirious and happy, I crawled into the pothole for the first of several long swims. Tom checked out the route through the "T" section and believes it might go. (I'm thinking there's a cliff band just north of the steep trees section.) After some food and a few calls out on the new sat phone, we settled in and called it a night. Sunday, weather looked to be quite nice as well. We packed up and headed straight up the hillside to the north, traversing in to the bowl at the NW. At about 6600', we headed out west on a heathery ledge to meet the ridgeline and found a faint bootpath leading across the mountain toward the tarns on the south side of Granite. We rose gradually as we headed north and eventually topped out on a shelf around 6850' on the east side of the gap above Robin. Tom headed up Granite while I taunted a head of 9 goats that were hanging out at the saddle on the north side of Granite. Enjoyed the views of the spectacular tarns on the backside of Granite. (Yowza!) From the saddle, we enjoyed the trailed descent down the northern ridgeline, checking out every puddle, pond, pothole, and tarn on the way down and finally settling in at a campsite between Upper and Middle Robin with good views off toward Daniel. Bugs were particularly ferocious at Robin, and so after dinner, we quickly settled in for the night. On Monday, we got an early start and headed north out of camp in beautiful weather, bound for Trico Mountain. The trail was easy to follow...if you lose it, it's on your left. We topped out on Trico and enjoyed the views of Daniel and Hinman, Phoebe Lakes, French Ridge, and Tuck and Robin Lakes, for a half hour or so. Finally, we noted heavy weather moving in from the north, and we decided we should get moving. We dropped west down the gully to Trico Lake. Pretty lake, but the raindrops started falling as soon as we arrived and we knew we couldn't delay our departure. The traverse across to Tuck Lake was far more work than it should have been -- I think we descended too quickly and ended up winding through steep slick cliffy sections before finally finding a few traces of boot path across the meadowy benches just west of Tuck. Note to self: Next time I visit Trico, descend directly west and meet the PCT near Deception Pass. The final 6 mile slog out from Tuck Lake was uneventful, aside from the fact that we met two parties of 5 and one party of 9 heading *IN* to Tuck/Robin on a wet and miserable day (what were they thinking?). Made it back to the car around 4pm. Summary: Tuck and Robin are definite gems. If I were to return to the French Potholes, I wouldn't go via P-G-E Pass...the traverse north is more work than it's worth. And one of these days, hopefully someone will clear up whether the "T" section is actually doable.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 8:11 pm 
Goat Mountain and Tucquala Lake
Goat Mountain and Tucquala Lake
The Citadel
The Citadel
Mount Daniel
Mount Daniel
Mike Ordering Pizza on the Sat Phone
Mike Ordering Pizza on the Sat Phone
Jack Creek Fire Clouds
Jack Creek Fire Clouds
First Views of Upper French Pothole
First Views of Upper French Pothole
Glacier Peak in Distance
Glacier Peak in Distance
Lower French Pothole from Above
Lower French Pothole from Above
Lower French Pothole
Lower French Pothole
Descending to Upper French Pothole
Descending to Upper French Pothole
Arriving at Upper French Pothole
Arriving at Upper French Pothole
Grassy Upper French Pothole Inlet Area
Grassy Upper French Pothole Inlet Area
Point 6520 from Upper French Pothole
Point 6520 from Upper French Pothole
South Granite from Upper French Pothole
South Granite from Upper French Pothole
Jack Creek Fire Smoke Behind Upper French Pothole
Jack Creek Fire Smoke Behind Upper French Pothole
Arriving at Lower SW Granite Tarn
Arriving at Lower SW Granite Tarn
Daniel from Lower SW Granite Pool
Daniel from Lower SW Granite Pool
Lower SW Granite Pool from Inlet
Lower SW Granite Pool from Inlet
Lower SW Granite Pool
Lower SW Granite Pool
Arriving at Upper SW Granite Pool
Arriving at Upper SW Granite Pool
South Granite from Upper SW Granite Pool
South Granite from Upper SW Granite Pool
First Views of Robin Lakes from Above Saddle
First Views of Robin Lakes from Above Saddle
NE Granite Pools
NE Granite Pools
Robin Lakes from Above
Robin Lakes from Above
Inviting Swimming Tarn On a Hot Day
Inviting Swimming Tarn On a Hot Day
Swimming Tarn
Swimming Tarn
One of Many Snowmelt Pools
One of Many Snowmelt Pools
Arriving at Upper Robin
Arriving at Upper Robin
Goats at Camp
Goats at Camp
Sunrise from Camp
Sunrise from Camp
Goat Taking In The Scenery
Goat Taking In The Scenery
Mountain Goats at Robin Lakes
Mountain Goats at Robin Lakes
Salt Craving Goats
Salt Craving Goats
Mountain Goat at Robin Lakes
Mountain Goat at Robin Lakes
Mother and Kid
Mother and Kid
Cathedral Rock, The Citadel, Daniel, and Lower Robin from Camp
Cathedral Rock, The Citadel, Daniel, and Lower Robin from Camp
"One More Shot" Before Leaving Robin Lakes
"One More Shot" Before Leaving Robin Lakes
Lower Granite Potholes
Lower Granite Potholes
Approaching Upper Granite Mountain Pothole
Approaching Upper Granite Mountain Pothole
Upper Granite Mountain Pothole
Upper Granite Mountain Pothole
Daniel and Hinman from Trail to Trico
Daniel and Hinman from Trail to Trico
Phoebe, Shoal, and Leland from Trico
Phoebe, Shoal, and Leland from Trico
Looking Back to Granite and Upper Robin from Trico
Looking Back to Granite and Upper Robin from Trico
Weather Approaching Fast
Weather Approaching Fast
Descending in Rain to Trico Lake
Descending in Rain to Trico Lake
Pouring at Tuck Lake
Pouring at Tuck Lake

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 8:15 pm 
Nice report and great pics guys. Thanks. up.gif Question. Why is Michael calling on his SAT phone? lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Type E

Type E
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 pm 
Trico Lake sure is pretty. It is easy to drop to the PCT. The fishing was quite good when I was there as well. Sounds like you had a great trip!

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 8:22 pm 
Outstanding. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 8:46 pm 
Beautiful! Had no idea the French potholes were that scenic.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 8:58 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nice report and great pics guys. Thanks. up.gif Question. Why is Michael calling on his SAT phone? lol.gif
what he said. DHM: were you and tom in trouble? making dinner reservations? making mandatory check-in call?

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 pm 
Chainsaw, my pics probably make them look more scenic than they are. Not that I'd kick 'em out of bed or anything but we didn't bother to visit the lower pothole.

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:02 pm 
Sa-weeeet!!!! I've had the French Pots on my lakebagging to-do list for sometime now. Thanks for sharing the area with us as only you two can. wink.gif up.gif Looking across the valley, I would have guessed you might have been closer to the fire, but I'm sure glad it didn't affect your pics or trip. agree.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 pm 
Excellent stuff dudes, thanks for the pictures. How far were you guys from the rescue operation Saturday...around 8:45 PM?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 pm 
Yeah, Kleet told us that Gary broke his ankle somewhere along the ridgeline and his partner ended up having to run back down to the Fish Lake Guard Station to call out for help. The chopper flew over our camp three times. I'm not sure where Gary was located on the ridgeline but he was able to flag them down with a flashlight for the medevac. BTW - We used the sat phone a number of times over the course of the trip just to try it out and see how the quality and reception was. Talked to a number of other friends and family. Fun stuff.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 pm 
oh man, how come no one calls me... frown.gif I've been eyeballing that route for a while. I thought you were burnt out on the ALW DHM... jk nice trip guys up.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:13 pm 
Yeah, I was forced to stop on the road out while the chopper landed in a nearby clearing. Glad it was only an ankle.

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:14 pm 
Hmm! Well, we had been wondering what that chopper was about when we saw it from our camp Saturday, flying without lights. Mystery solved.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 9:16 pm 
MLHSN wrote:
oh man, how come no one calls me... frown.gif
Sorry about that, Mark... It was really a last minute change...we were planning on doing a traverse from Kaleetan to Preacher -- in Denny Creek and out via Rainy -- until literally midnight the night before we left. Next time...next time.