Forum Index > Food & Grub > Food dehydrators
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jared_j

jared_j
PostThu Mar 06, 2008 4:09 pm 
I'm interested in getting a food dehydrator to prepare camping food at home. I haven't shopped around for any models yet, but are there strong opinions out there about which are good or bad? Please share your experience. Thanks! FYI, looking to dehydrate real food to re-hydrate while out in the field; not so much interested in making my own jerky or dried fruit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Mar 06, 2008 4:19 pm 
when I did shopping for mine back in the day (about four years ago), I decided against the round models with the hole in the middle. I went for an excalibur, but on the lower end, which has flat square trays, a more even air flow distribution (not that it's 100% even), and pretty darn good temperature regulation (for a dehydrator). I've been very happy with it's noise level as well, given that I may run the thing for three days at a time, depending on what I'm drying. in the end, I think most things are going to work, given a little persistence at figuring out what dries well and what doesn't. smile.gif there are others who use their dehydrators more than I do that can offer better advice than I on all the intricacies.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 06, 2008 4:42 pm 
Most important to look for is a good fan and temp settings. There are a number of Nesco's out there that are good choices (and affordable) starting at around $60 and up. Check on Amazon. My last dehydrator was a Nesco. The only reason I don't have it anymore is I decided I "deserved" the Cadillac of dryers lol.gif I bought a LEQUIP dehydrator. But....is it any better? Well, not really. It is classy looking and fits on my counter better. I also like the rectangle trays better. I have a page on Dehydrating 101 if you need any tips smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 am 
This has been discussed a few times...up at the top of your screen there's a "search" button that you can use to pull up all posts regarding "dehydrators." I can't think of the name of my dehydrator at the moment and I'm not at home, but it's a great machine...I'll try to remember and look tonight after work.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Mar 10, 2008 11:59 am 
sarbar wrote:
Most important to look for is a good fan and temp settings. There are a number of Nesco's out there that are good choices (and affordable) starting at around $60 and up. Check on Amazon. My last dehydrator was a Nesco. The only reason I don't have it anymore is I decided I "deserved" the Cadillac of dryers lol.gif I bought a LEQUIP dehydrator. But....is it any better? Well, not really. It is classy looking and fits on my counter better. I also like the rectangle trays better. I have a page on Dehydrating 101 if you need any tips smile.gif
ditto.gif I have a Nesco. Invest in the fruit roll trays and tray liners too. They are worth it!

newclimber

newclimber
PostThu Mar 13, 2008 10:32 pm 
Most food dehydrators, just slowly cook the meat/food. They have heat associated with the fans which slowly heat and dry the items in them. I really haven't found any good dehydrators, only ones that make chewy messes. What works really good is an old AB system. This uses only cold air, therefore dehydrating the food not cooking it. What you need is a box fan, one of those square window ones, bungee cords, and a few cellulose furnace filters. The ones with the metal grates on them work best for fruit, and soft items. The plain ones without metal are just fine for meat. Don't use fiberglass filters, not good! Prep, unwrap filters cut food to fit in valleys of filters, or on top of metal grates. What you do is take the fan and place it down on the table so that it will blow the air up, place one filter on the fan and load it with food, take a second and place it on top of the other one, then repeat, probably three with food and an empty one to hold everything together. Then take the bungee cords and strap the filters to the fan, probably two cords, maybe three. What you want to make is a layer of filters strapped to the fan. I wouldn't recommend more than three filters with food. The air will not be able to get to those layers. Then turn on the fan, I usually just leave it in the bath tub. After about 10-12 hours on low speed, all is done. Just make sure that you can feel some air past the forth filter. Works great. Very cheap. Just the cost of the filters, plus you can reuse them a few times. When done keep loosely in an airtight jar, don't pack them together, then remaining little moisture will make them soggy.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 12:18 pm 
My wife just picked up a dehydrator for $4 at a yard sale! dance.gif So I guess I'm finally gonna try dehydrating. It's a round one with a hole in the middle: "American Harvest Snackmaster Elite". I think I'll try veggies (cabbage, lettuce, carrots, broccoli, spinach) because that's what I have the hardest time finding to take & eat w/o cooking.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 3:56 pm 
Conrad, good buy! smile.gif Be sure to cut your food small - it helps with the rehydrating process up.gif

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 4:23 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Be sure to cut your food small - it helps with the rehydrating process
Actually I'm not planning on rehydrating -- you know my backpacking cooking philosophy wink.gif -- I'm more interested in the "chewing raw" process. Can/should you cook/blanch vegetables before drying them?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 4:46 pm 
Sure, you can blanch - I do for things like green beans, broccoli, etc. Items like cabbage and carrots, no. They don't need it. But...realize that gnawing on dried vegetables isn't very tasty. You would do to at least soak them for awhile in cold water - most vegetables will come back in 5-15 minutes that way. Green beans and peas take longer. Smaller is better. If ya want to chew on hard dried vegetables I hope you have good teeth biggrin.gif Lol! Now "salads" made with diced carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, dried cooked lentils, etc, etc are great. Soak in cold water, drain off any left over water, add in some oil or dressing, seasoning and hello dinner. I do that often. Dry homemade hummus - add the oil when rehydrating. Again, all you need is cold water.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 6:01 pm 
Thanks for the tips Sarbar. I'll do some experimenting.

roadkill

roadkill
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 5:27 pm 
newclimber wrote:
Most food dehydrators, just slowly cook the meat/food. They have heat associated with the fans which slowly heat and dry the items in them. I really haven't found any good dehydrators, only ones that make chewy messes. What works really good is an old AB system. This uses only cold air, therefore dehydrating the food not cooking it. What you need is a box fan, one of those square window ones, bungee cords, and a few cellulose furnace filters. The ones with the metal grates on them work best for fruit, and soft items. The plain ones without metal are just fine for meat. Don't use fiberglass filters, not good! Prep, unwrap filters cut food to fit in valleys of filters, or on top of metal grates. What you do is take the fan and place it down on the table so that it will blow the air up, place one filter on the fan and load it with food, take a second and place it on top of the other one, then repeat, probably three with food and an empty one to hold everything together. Then take the bungee cords and strap the filters to the fan, probably two cords, maybe three. What you want to make is a layer of filters strapped to the fan. I wouldn't recommend more than three filters with food. The air will not be able to get to those layers. Then turn on the fan, I usually just leave it in the bath tub. After about 10-12 hours on low speed, all is done. Just make sure that you can feel some air past the forth filter. Works great. Very cheap. Just the cost of the filters, plus you can reuse them a few times. When done keep loosely in an airtight jar, don't pack them together, then remaining little moisture will make them soggy.
Alright! a fellow Alton Brown fan. I haven't done this personally yet but I have friends that have done this and had very successful outcomes.