Forum Index > Gear Talk > trekking Poles - To carbon or not to carbon?!?!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 22, 2002 1:58 am 
Hey there Al, have you gotten and used your MSR carbon fibre poles yet? So, dang it post your opinions would ya! I'm trying to decide between those and Leki's Titanium jobs. Both are advertised at 17ozs. What do ya think? TB tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostFri Mar 22, 2002 5:43 pm 
Buy 'em both BPJ. I'll use the ones you like least wink.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 22, 2002 6:04 pm 
I've had them since July I think. Day hikes, backpack, snowshoe, they've been everywhere. I absolutely love them. Look for a review in this month's WT mag, or maybe the March one, for some reason they are not sending me the magazine any more so I'm not sure which issue, but I'm pretty sure April.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 23, 2002 1:24 am 
Thanks Al. If you mean the WTA mag, I couldnt find anything about any gear write ups! I'll keep looking. Dante, U make WAY more money than do I. U buy two sets and I'll use the ones U like least! HA! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 23, 2002 7:43 pm 
Yeah, but Dante has kids. That'll put almost anyone in the poor house lol.gif.

Dante

Dante
PostSun Mar 24, 2002 11:23 pm 
Ha ha ha moon.gif Seriously, Leki says the (single) pole I use weighs 8 oz. and it cost less than $40. I don't remember the model, but it's the one with the all wood handle with a hemispherical top. I bought it as a SilShelter pole, tried it hiking a few times and now I almost always bring it. I'll probably be buying 2 pairs of trekking poles for my daughter and I. A buddy dug a snow cave a few hundred yards above the end of the Alpental road so spouses, friends and other people who think we're crazy could check it out. My daughter had a such a blast that I got budget approval for a pair of kids snowshoes and a pair of Denali Ascents cool.gif We'll need poles to go with them, but I'll be looking for sale/second hand items--not the latest and greatest wonder alloy or super composite wink.gif

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostMon Mar 25, 2002 1:49 pm 
The only brand of poles to use IMO are the Black Diamond with the Flick Lock technology. You can find some on sale at campmor.com right now for $34.97. I went through way too many twist poles like Leki and Komperdell. Also see Trekking Poles Review