Forum Index > Gear Talk > snowshoe brands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 12:25 pm 
Lopper, Right you are on all three points. 1) The straps do break. The part that breaks most is the binding to the crampon part. All they need to do is to get a bigger washer at the front two attachments to the crampon to improve the design. 2) I was afraid of the hinge part too. However, the hinge part works and has never broken down. I just replaced my hinges this year after use for three years. 3) They do make a lot of noise. 4) From all my past experiences with friends having models, the MSRs outlast them all. Period. Yes, the MSRs will break, but so will other models. No outdoor piece of equipment I have found will ever last a lifetime. (However, my ice axe from SMC is proving that wrong.)

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Mar 25, 2002 5:09 pm 
For those who are mechanically challenged as I am, changing the Clevis Pins on my wife’s MSR snowshoes was a real challenge. Reading about the pin’s failure in this forum, I though I would change them on my wife’s three year old snowshoes. I also thought it would be good practice since I can imagine how frustrating it could be in the wilderness trying it for the first time under God knows what conditions. Anyway, after 20 minutes and three band-aids on my sliced left thumb, I successfully changed one pin. Fortunately, I think I got the technique down as it only took me 5 minutes for the second pin and no bloody fingers. I’m going to hold off on the second snowshoe until I get one of those split ring pliers mentioned in the instructions or a very fine pair of strong needle nose pliers. My Swiss Champ knife did the job with an assist from a Leatherman Wave. Careful of the retainer rings! The exposed ends are very sharp and did a good job of slicing the end of my thumb.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message