Forum Index > Photography Talk > Managing Memory Cards?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blindie

blindie
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 11:35 pm 
I have 2) 256 cards and a Lexmar FireWire Reader. When I fill a card or when I want to grab images off it I take the card out of the camera and place it in my card reader. I use Canon's ImageBrowser to download the images to my harddrive. It has been the quickest and easiest tool to use. It automatically rotates the images as well. I unmount the card and use the camera to format the card. How do the rest of you go about managing your Memory Card?

Blindie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 1:21 am 
I use a CF card reader and copy directly to the HD. I don't really use the Canon software at all. Their image rotation may not be lossles so beware if you shoot in JPG. I always shoot in RAW and use Breeze Browser for RAW management. Canon makes good cameras but their software blows.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 6:14 am 
I drag and drop too. Then delete what's left on the card and it's good to go. Tom... do you use the free downloader version? NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 9:25 am 
I download everything from a card reader to Nikon View. Then do any necessary exposure or curves adjustments in Nikon Capture while still in NEF (RAW) format. The images are given the "once over" and obvious images are deleted from Nikon View. Then save the first round winners to disk (for safety sake, since I do portraiture and want to be sure to have a backup for everything). Then format the card in the camera, once I put it back in the camera.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 10:31 am 
CF Card reader and directly download to my hard disk. Working then on the images that are on the computer hard disk, I use other software for my editing and filing needs (Digital Pro 2.0) and only when I have things filed away and backed up, then I clear things from the CF card.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 10:58 am 
I'm usually in the field when my exceedingly tiny CF card is full, so I have a portable storage device I dump my images to, then clear the card in the camera. When I get home, I copy the images from the protable device to my hard drive (firewire connection) and immediately back them up to another drive. After letting the images sit for months embarassedlaugh.gif I catalog and rename them and burn them to CDs (a master and backup), and keep my second hard drive copy. After I've pulled out the "keepers" I eventually get them on my website. dizzy.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 1:07 pm 
I use ZoomBrowser too, but I haven't noticed any noticable degridation in JPG shots over RAW shots. Photos usually get saved untweaked for the most part (saves a little space, and I may want to go back and readjust something), and all is stored on CDs.