Forum Index > Gear Talk > Has anyone tried the Hennessy Hammock?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostMon Dec 31, 2001 11:17 am 
I've read mostly good things about the Hennessy Hammock since I first heard of them last year. Has anyone actually used one? It wouldn't be that useful above tree line (although with a pair of hiking poles you can pitch it on the ground) but it would work at most of the places I camped in the last couple years. REI sells the standard 2.5lb model for $119. If you order directly from Hennessy, you can get the SilNylon fly from the Ultralight version and shave off a few ounces (I'm too heavy for the ultralight frown.gif ). Hennessy will customise any of the basic models to your specs within reason cool.gif 2.5lbs is on the heavy side for a one-person shelter, but you can ditch the T-Rest (assuming you use one). I might get myself one for my birthday, but I'd be interested in hearing the voice of experience. Here's a LINK

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 12:38 pm 
I went to REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEI and checked out the hammocks. They are seriously cool. I really like the way you enter/exit. The bug netting is super NO seethem ever again like. Quality is good too. I'm going to order and ultralite in hopefully grey/black.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 1:20 pm 
Hey Dante, you can get the 1.6 lb ultralight version for $125 at MEC. The ultralight looks superior in every way to the 2.5 lb version unless you're over 200 lbs. Edit: Hennessy will match the MEC price with free shipping to boot.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 8:15 am 
Hmmm... Maybe I'll just wait until next time I'm in Canada and "smuggle" one down here. It will depend on what colors they have. Like I said in another thread, the Ultralight Backpacker is .6 lb heavier and arguably less versatile than my current minimalist shelter (poncho/groundcloth/guylines/stakes) but the bug protection would probably be worth the extra weight. I think a Hennessy Hammock would be great for the PCT or Wonderland Trail (with a Wilderness Camping permit) because you could hike until you got tired or ran out of light, hike a ways off the trail, pitch your hammock, eat dinner and go to sleep. I'll let Backpacker Joe "go first" and try his. I'm over 200 pounds, but not by that much, so I'll probably get an ultralight. More incentive to lose the extra weight wink.gif

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 12:23 pm 
I didn't look that far. I'm in no hurry to get a hammock or to challenge the master wink.gif If I get a hammock, I'll probably pick one up from MEC next time I'm in Vancouver smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 5:48 pm 
Here is a good link to checkout that shows what sil fabric colors DO exsist. I'm sending it to Hennessy to see if they can get ahold of some of them. Scroll down

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 11:59 am 
I couldn't resist and called and did mention the MEC price and they are shiping it out today. The free shiping is only with UPS but I'm not in a big hurry to get it. You got to love that Canadian exchange rate. I wanted to see one in action first but at only $125 I guess I could use one more solo shelter. It is a sickness...I just got a rush...well more like an addiction.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 9:00 pm 
Dante, when I was at REI last night I noticed they have a new lightweight model. I can't remember the exact name but it's a few ounces heavier than the ultralight and has a slightly different shape & larger fly for more coverage. You may want to check it out as it looks to have a higher weight capacity rating than the ultralight. Unfortunately, I don't see it on the hennessy site yet.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 10:18 pm 
These hammocks are incredibly comfortable, but don't leave them unattended in the wilderness...

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 11:08 pm 
I took a chance last spring and got the ultralight model of the HH. I'm totally converted to using it now as I've never had such comfortable sleeping. There is a learning curve at first but my son in law and I both used them at Rune Lake in the Enchantments (labor day week) and loved them. I slept in mine about 12 nights last summer and I tell you, I'd never go back to a tent. A neat site to check out is Sgt. Rock's web page He has put together a lot of his own HH experiences nicely. I have a couple pics of my Hammock at my my Yahoo briefcase

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 30, 2002 7:10 pm 
Now that's a color I like. Trouble is, 31ozs is two pounds! That's no longer an ultralite model. To bad. C.H., you're a hammock guy, anyway to get this thing down to 1.5 poinds like your lite model? Second quesetion, do you/I /we need the new options designed into this Asym model that your Ulite doesnt have? TB

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Mar 30, 2002 8:02 pm 
Nah, shakehead.gif my UL HH is just fine the way it is. (don't need to part with the $$ for something that is only a slight improvement). My son will just have to use one of my tents.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 2:26 am 
Well I guess I was asking your opinion on which one I should pick up? Maybe the U.L. version with the KOOL color friendly fly! P.S. Mr. Hammock (Hennessy) told me the new one's fly is larger too! TB

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 8:04 am 
BPJ, since they are both the same money, I would choose the newer version, even if it does weigh a few ounces more. I think the improvements are worth carrying the extra weight. When you consider that most tents weigh in (unless it is a Stephenson) at around 3 or more pounds, generally require a footprint or groundcloth, the HH is still saving some weight but the key that I've found is: Added comfort when sleeping. That is the slam-dunk difference (plus it is kinda cool to do something different, you start looking at trees differently) wink.gif There are pro's and con's in going from a tent to a hammock but for me, the pro's outweigh the con's.