Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Pacific Northwest Fishing Guide 1948
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSat May 17, 2003 5:45 pm 
I don't fish but this is a neat find for me at an antique mall today. Lots of information about lakes, trails, etc of interest to us all. Contact me if you want more information about a favorite place. There are few photographs but a lot of historical information. Karen
Pacific Northwest Fishing Guide 1948
Pacific Northwest Fishing Guide 1948

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:04 am 
Thanks Karen, for digging up yet another great find! Can you tell if this is s Stan Jones publication or one put out by Gordie Frear? I've got several dating back to the mid 1960s and they are a fun read. I especially enjoy the advertisements in the books for local businesses that are long gone. If you're a Seattle native it really brings back some memories (McPilchuck might chime in here, too). I'll contact you off-line with a specific question. Thanks again, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Karen

Karen
PostMon May 19, 2003 9:59 am 
Pacific Northwest Fishing and Hunting guide
Hi Salish, I haven't had time to really look this over real well but it was published in June 1948 as a Peace Arch Edition in Seattle. There are several articles in it by Ken McLeod who was editor of the Pacific NW Fishing and Hunting Guide and according to the preface was also outdoor editor of the Seattle PI (since 1931). There is also some artwork scattered throughout by a fellow named Myron Miller. Some of the other names in the Table of Contents are: Milo Moore, Don W. Clarke, Herb Mills, George W. McLeod, Sandy Balcom, Eddie Vine, Clarence C. Carlson, Eddie Haw, C. S. Cummins and Jim Simons. There are 160 pages of thumbnail write-ups of lakes, rivers, streams, etc. A few old photographs, one of which I post here. I'd be happy to answer any questions via email that you have, Karen PS The photograph is not very good for reproduction. Sorry!
Old fishing pamphlet Nordum lake
Old fishing pamphlet Nordum lake

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
salish

salish
PostTue May 20, 2003 6:17 am 
Karen, thanks again. I am familiar with a few of those names, especially two. I've never seen a photo of the Nordrum Lake cabin, although I've heard of it many times. Neat old photo. Thanks for posting this. I'm going to start searching for some of these old local publications myself. Cliff ps - I'm using your 1913 photo of Snoqualmie summit as my computer screen wallpaper - great photo!

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue May 20, 2003 7:29 am 
Salish turned me on to this post, of which Im familiar with. My grandfather was the editor of the Ben Paris edition, which was published in the 1940s to 1950s. The later version was edited by Frear, then it evolved with the Stan Jones mode. I have several copies of my grandfathers edition. I also knew many of the old timers as a kid that are mentioned, even fly fished with several of them as we have the property on the Nfk Stilly since 1928. Grandpa was also the outdoor editor of the Seattle P.I. from 1930- 1950 and had columns named the Singing Reel, Red Hat Bridgade, Mac's Mussings, etc. I have many of those originals. Eventually, Greg Johnston (a great guy and I have fished with) writes the fishing stuff today for the P.I. BTW, today, the Getaways Magazine is great for findng things connected to the outdoors. At any rate, I cherish the old suff handed to me after my grandfather's passing... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostTue May 20, 2003 10:35 pm 
Pacific NW Hunting & Fishing Guide
For those of you who looked at the picture Karen posted of the Nordrum Lake cabin, you may be interested in why it was there. The Trail Blazers obtained permission from the "Forestry Department" (and received the good wishes of the Memorial Cabin Association) in 1946 to build a three-sided shelter. It was dedicated to Bill Simon, a Trail Blazer who was killed during World War II. Getting the cabin built is a story in itself. The cabin took a beating over the years, both from elements and from people. In early 1960's, Trail blazers repaired the shelter. By the early 1970's, rumor had it that the shelter was in poor condition. Another Trail Blazer and I went to have a look. Snow had caused the shelter to have quite a lean, and so much wood had been cannibalized from the walls and supports that we decided it wasn't worth saving. The picture in upper right hand corner of the picture Karen posted is a plaque that the Trail Blazers posted on the shelter. It was salvaged, and is in the Trail Blazer Librarian's archives. - Oldtimer

Bill Conner

Bill Conner
PostSun Oct 26, 2003 6:55 pm 
Ben Paris
Hi There! I sent myself off into fishermans dream land many times by reading the Ben Paris Guide back in the 50's. Enos Bradner and Roy Patrick were my idols and I still have their books. My Ben Paris Guides disappeared while I was off in the Army and I am trying to find a copy. I have haunted the used book stores to no avail. Have you any ideas on how to obtain one? Bill Conner

Bill Conner

Bill Conner
PostSun Nov 16, 2003 12:08 pm 
Hi Karen! What a lucky find. My copy of the guide vaporized back in about 1955. I had the thing memorized by then anyway. But, I sure would like to get a 50's copy. I have searched the used book stores and Ebay with no luck. Any ideas where I could find one? Bill Conner

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSun Nov 16, 2003 3:35 pm 
Bill-- Try bookfinder.com That's how I got hold of my 9th edition (1950-51). It's a real easy way to access a huge trove of books scattered through hundreds bookstores big and small.

Bill Conner

Bill Conner
PostMon Nov 17, 2003 11:44 am 
Hey Lopper! Thanks so much. I found the book instantly and it is ordered. I'll stand you a pint! Bill