Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Glacier Playfields of Mt Rainier National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostMon Nov 17, 2003 2:03 pm 
I wasn't looking for this ancient tome by Joseph T. Hazard but I took advantage of the opportunity and bought it. Well, I am buying it. Let me explain. I was browsing in a wonderful bookstore on First Avenue in Pioneer Square and I spent so much time in the bookstore that the proprietor finally approached me and asked me what I was looking for and I said, "Anything pertaining to Northwest history". Then he told me that just recently he had been able to get hold of three copies (never been opened) of this book by THE Joseph T. Hazard (First edition) found in someone's attic. I asked him how much he wanted for the book (I was dying to get hold of it) and when he told me how much it was I replied, "Well, I sure would like to have this book but I can't afford it." So I looked around some more, still reluctant to leave. Finally I asked if he would take a credit card and he said he didn't take those. But a check or cash would be fine. Well, you know how us writers are -- we ain't rich and I only had about $35 dollars with me. Then he amazed me by saying, "Well, just take the book and you can pay me later." Needless to say, I insisted he take my last $35 and I left the store with the book. I plan to pay off the balance in 3 monthly increments but it was great to not only get the book but to be trusted .... this whole experience just made my day. It was published in 1920 by the Western Printing Company and the book is dedicated to Edmund S. Meany who was then President of the Mountaineers and "Companion of Many Trails and Summits". The book has many black and white old-time photos but they are hard to scan in without spoiling the book. The name of the book is "The Glacier Playfields of the Mount Rainier National Park". Anyway, just wanted to let you know that sometimes these jewels almost fall out of the sky when you aren't even looking for them ... As the proprietor said, "You'll never find another copy of this book in such good condition." I agree. smile.gif Now I just have to find the time to read it! Karen PS If you want more details PM me but I won't get a chance to answer until probably tomorrow.
Historical Book on Mt Rainier
Historical Book on Mt Rainier

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Duncan

Duncan
PostMon Nov 17, 2003 4:03 pm 
Way to go Karen, you certainly lucked out and stumbled across a gem. Take care of it and it'll last for several lifetimes!

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 17, 2003 5:07 pm 
Whoa. I know some good armchair mountaineers who might want to look at that book.

Art is an adventure.
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 17, 2003 8:26 pm 
Oh, you are so lucky. I looked at that book at the UW's Special Collections when I was doing my female mountaineers research. Joseph Hazard wrote a number of articles in the early 1920's in publications such as "Seattle Woman" encouraging them to join the Mountaineers and take up climbing. I have fanticized about stumbling upon those type of publications or old Mountaineers annuals at garage sales or used bookstores. And what a kind proprietor. Would you like to publicize the business so whoever is inclined can support such a nice place? Although I'm pretty sure I know, since I work up the street.