Forum Index > Photography Talk > Are you in a photography club?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Andrew

Andrew
PostSat Nov 29, 2003 1:57 am 
I figured I'd put this topic in this forum since it recieves more traffic and doesn't pertain to the technicalities of photography. For awhile now, I've been contemplating joining a photography club of some sort. I've been into photography for about 5 months now and know that this will be a hobby of mine for a long, long time. I'm at the point where I'd like to learn from more experienced people in the field and thought that a club of some sort would be the best way to go about this. Since you're all from the area, could you suggest a club that you're involved with, if at all? If so, how often do you meet and what kind of field trips have you been on? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andrew

Andrew
PostSat Nov 29, 2003 1:58 am 
Lastly, I'd like to add that Art Wolfe, one of the most famous nature/wildlife photographers in the world will be having a presentation in early January at the West Seattle High School. Maybe I'll see you there!

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Nov 29, 2003 4:52 am 
I assume you hike if you're posting here so I would suggest the Mountaineers club, they have a photography group within.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Nov 29, 2003 6:45 am 
I've been to a couple of Arts presentations and probably won't go to another. I had hopes of getting some technique but they end up slide shows, which are very good, and commentary on the trips he made to get the photos. Generally speaking, they are to promote a new book, which he has at this time. Hopefully what you attend will deal with more of the aspects of photography. You can also check out some night courses at the local CC. Usually cost some larger $ tho. Check in the classified section or Getaways section of the newspaper for clubs. Good luck and have fun. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Nov 29, 2003 10:43 am 
I've been a member of the Mountaineers photography club for about a year and find it very enjoyable. They meet the third Wednesday of every month (except March) at the Mountaineers building on 3rd Ave W in Queen Anne at 6:30pm. It's not a competition-based club, which is exactly why I joined. They just enjoy looking at photos and talking photography. There's some very good photographers there. They have many field trips each year, but I haven't been on any. I'm more of a go-it-alone guy. tongue.gif Sorry, but I have to move this to the Photography Forum.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 29, 2003 12:04 pm 
I like to roll my own and learn mostly from experimentation and stuff on the net.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Nov 29, 2003 12:49 pm 
Clubs are probably a good way to go, but there are some good books out there too. 1. Your camera manual. lol.gif Dry reading but loads of good information. 2. Photographing the Landscape, John Fielder a really good how-to book for non-digital photography 3. National Parks of America, David Muench this one is mostly photos, but all of David Muench's photos are composed so well which makes paging through the book a learning experience up.gif up.gif

Bob K

Bob K
PostTue Dec 02, 2003 12:24 am 
Try photo.net. It's more convenient, you can do it whenever you want, and you don't have to do potluck. There are a lot of people there who know what they are talking about and a lot of photographers who take some amazing shots (and a few who don't -- like Bob Atkins). The Nature Photography forum sometimes has useful information. I think the critique areas are useful. Unless you are taking pictures strictly as momentos for your own personal enjoyment, it's good to learn what is pleasing to other people. When you are ready, try putting some of your pictures up for comments. If they are halfway decent the pictures might get some brutally (maybe painfully) honest comments. It's a great way to learn! The beginner snapshots usually won't get any comments. Read the comments from other users and see if you agree or disagree. What did each photographer do well and what could they have done better? Learn from *their* mistakes. -

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Dec 02, 2003 10:26 am 
Another location I frequent is http://www.nikondigital.org/ Don't let the name Nikon in there scare you off if you are not a Nikon person. On this site is a "Digital Pro Forums" link which is a useful forum related strongly to digital photography, and DSLR in particular. There are a lot of Canon DSLR users on the forum as well as all of the D1/D2/D100 users there. I have no time to chat with the people there but I do follow many things that have been talked about. There is an active location where people share wildlife photography and similar to photo.net comments from BobK, the good ones get the best critique while the lame ones go ignored. That's fine. I don't use these sites for that stuff---the real value for me is the other forum areas for hardware and software discussions, technical info on camera models, photoshop use, and just plain useful things like "I want to create a XYZ the fastest way possible and do it batch-mode over 500 images. How?" answers from people who solve real world problems using the tools we all have at our fingertips! Then, if you have an interest as a user of DigitalPro software for image management there is a location for that discussion as well as the creaters of it are the ones who own this forum. Just another tool available for us, this forum, just like photo.net and the other forums listed. Together I feel you can learn MUCH more by saving the tips you hear, TRY THEM YOURSELF and use trial and error to see what is best for your desires. With digital that last part comes "free" and there is no excuse not to get creative and try anything possible since you are not paying for film to see what you are learning. You'll learn more IMHO than if you signed up for the NY Institute of Photography program and others like it.

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 4:00 pm 
Sorry Mcaver, I figured that posting this in the photography forum wouldn't reap as many replies. I guess I was wrong tongue.gif And thanks a lot everybody! I am a member at photo.net already and have some of my pictures up. Very helpful and complete site with lots of people. I've enrolled in a photography class at Skagit Valley CC starting January. I look forward to it, but I am more into nature color photography and hence the reason why I want to be a part of a club. I believe the class will deal more with black and white and the developing techniques. Right now, the Mountaineers club looks the most appealing. The non-competitiveness adds to it, since I don't want to be dealing with arrogant, well seasoned snoots who could care less about an 18 year old and his camera. Again, thanks for all the responses!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 4:33 pm 
Let me know if you decide to go to the Mountaineers photography meetings. I'm usually there.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 6:58 pm 
Being that you're going to be in the MT Vernon area, look up the Mt Baker Photo Club. They meet at the college and have free/low rate darkroom access. Also they do the hiking bit for photo get togethers. Photo Clubs N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 9:47 pm 
Mcaver, I'm thinking of asking for a Mountaineers membership for Christmas. My brother recently joined and plans on taking an alpine scrambling class of theirs in January. Say, there are different branches of the Mountaineers...could a member of one branch attend a field trip from another branch? How does that work?

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 9:49 pm 
Thanks for the link, Newt! Since the clubs meet monthly, I wouldn't mind being a part of multiple clubs as long as there are cool knowledgeable people there. Thanks everybody! cool.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 10:22 pm 
A Mountaineers membership covers all their clubs. The photography group membership is the same as for all the other things they do. You don't have to have a membership to attend the meetings, by the way. Obvuiously you'd need to get one eventually, but they don't check you at the door or anything. My membership expired a while ago and I still haven't gotten around to renewing it yet. angel.gif I won't be at the December meeting, though. It's opening night of Lord of the Rings! tongue.gif