Forum Index > Food & Grub > Trail culture series: gourmet vs. grab-a-root-and-growl?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 pm 
one-egg wonder
ah here it is:
4 3/4" pan, 8" overall length...7 oz...$8 on Amazon...might have to look into that. Too bad it's aluminum. Be good to find one like it out of titanium, though it'd probably cost $500

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I a flat aluminum nonstick griddle for frying, trout and pancakes, the usual pans for backpacking are just too thin.
That's good you could use it over embers, without a stove. Don't let it get too hot though, I think 350° is about the limit for aluminum.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 8:34 am 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Just take along spaghetti sauce mix packages and cans of tomato paste, pre-cook some spicy Italian sausage then vacuum pack and freeze it, black and green olives, capers, fresh garlic, an onion, maybe some mushrooms, and a small bottle of EVOO.
If you want to really lighten your load, cook up that sauce at home, spread it out on the fruit leather tray in a dehydrator, and make yourself spaghetti sauce leather. Just break it up, put it in a baggie and haul it along like you would any other dried food. I usually add water to the sauce (or taco filling, or chili) baggie at lunch time and let it start re-hydrating. Once in camp, add the sauce baggie to more water, bring it up to a boil, maybe toss in an extra chopped garlic clove, and you're sauce is done! And, you didn't have to haul all the containers and water weight of the ingredients. I'll take chicken sausages out of their casings, fry them really well, rinse as much of the grease off as I can (to prevent the meat from going rancid), spread the cooked and rinsed sausage out on paper towels in the dehydrator, and let them go until they're hard and really dry. I do the same with ground beef. Meat just doesn't get lighter than that. It just takes remembering to add water and start rehydrating dinner a few hours before you want to cook. Chili, and taco fillings (I use the taco filling in burritos) I cook up and dehydrate the way I do spaghetti sauce. Blocks of cheese, tortillas, and some fresh veggies I haul along without complaint. Bell peppers carry really well in the backpack. So do carrots, cabbage (shred some of it, add a packet of salad dressing, and there's your salad to go along with your spaghetti), onions, garlic, and apples. I occasionally carry potatoes, but they really take too long to cook so I usually carry dehydrated hash browns instead. Other things I haul along are olive oil, hot sauce packets, honey packets, and spices.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 8:48 am 
Tippet, this is an idea of the things I like to do via videos: A one pot meal for one: http://blip.tv/file/1521275 A FBC meal (Freezer Bag Cooking): http://blip.tv/file/1193752 A one pot meal for 2-3 people: http://blip.tv/file/1161964

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 9:35 am 
LOL looks like she only hikes places with picnic tables biggrin.gif I like the Orikaso & Fozzil plates She's got some good ideas, I think I'll try that mac & cheese.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 am 
Tippet wrote:
LOL looks like she only hikes places with picnic tables biggrin.gif I like the Orikaso & Fozzil plates She's got some good ideas, I think I'll try that mac & cheese.
Yeah...well, when one is hooked up to wireless mics and are carrying 2 HD cameras they don't go far. tongue.gif The next video up to be released we shot in early winter on a hike - we finally found a backpack designed to carry pro size HD cameras - not the type of backpack that is sold at REI lol.gif I shoot low quality videos of cooking on the trail that I post on my Youtube account but you rarely see more than cooking and hands lol.gif This being Spam-Tastic Lo Mein:

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 10:16 am 
Oh those are your vids? Very cool! Very professional. I like the way the recipe ingredients scroll, good idea. Hey I can't seem to get the video you embedded for the Spam Tastic Lo Mein, and that sounds like soemthing I'd like- got a link?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 10:23 am 
Sure:
That will take you to the YouTube page. smile.gif

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 10:45 am 
Thanks sarbar

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 am 
Very good Sarah! up.gif One thing though- I could never use your pink cozy, or even call it a "cozy". biggrin.gif How about a MARPAT digital camo version and call it something manly? I'm glad I'm not the only one who carries chopsticks hiking.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 11:35 am 
Lol..those girly cozies are for me.....It doesn't matter what camo print it is, they sell like hotcakes. (I am doing Desert Camo and a Grey Camo right now for production). up.gif In the past I had a blue desert camo I couldn't keep up, as well as a digital camo print, the old school forest camo. Every season I get a new camo print out there lol.gif

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 12:05 pm 
Cool I'll check out your site. Still need a manly name for them though. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif