Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Persis Clean up June 27-28, FS Rd 62 Index
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 7:01 pm 
We had a long thread going here. Mt Persis Gate What kind of interest is there on keeping this road open and showing that hikers are willing to step up once again? Much of the clean up would be along the access roads to the Persis TH and area. The effort was phenomenal at Lake Isabel, what do you say? Can we prevent another road from being gated with restricted access? Right now there are plans for an emergency closure. I've seen this happen before, once it's closed it stays closed. I spoke with Barb Bussey Sky Ranger station, (360-677-2414) and Steve Tift the land manager of Longview Fibre (360-424-2014) They were both open to a clean up, so I think this could go far in relationships on both sides. Is June 27th too soon for people to make plans? What are your thoughts? Edit: Please add your name GeoHiker, I'll be there Friday-Sunday. Hulksmash Sat. Sun. maybe Friday Dogpatch & Campking - Saturday

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:13 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 7:10 pm 
I'm in for the 27th. I think we should let the USFS know our plans, though. If they know something is in the works, it gives us more leverage in terms of the proposed road closure. Also, it would be good to contact Longview Fibre - I'd really like to see some signage on that road, especially where it starts at the highway. "No shooting or the road WILL be gated." Or something to that effect.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 7:23 pm 
Ok, we'll see what's coming up and go with the 27th for now. There's lots of camping area up there, so maybe we can get a camp out going that people could stop by either on Sat. or Sunday. I'll give Steve a call tomorrow and see what his thoughts are and find out what's going on with the gate. Do you know if it's locked now?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
drakonis

drakonis
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 pm 
can you car camp? i dont have a real pack for camping. or a sleeping bag that doesnt weigh under 20lbs.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 9:25 pm 
When I talked to Steve (Longview Fibre) last month he was open to allowing access on a limited basis, so I don't think that would be a problem if we had a weekend setup for clean up. I'll try and get a hold of him tomorrow. The road in there is excellent for the most part, bit potholed in sections, but any car can travel it without any problem. It's really a nice road to drive with awesome views up and down the valley. You should get in there before the road closes.

drakonis

drakonis
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 9:30 pm 
directions? where is it?

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 pm 
It's about mp 34 along Hwy 2 just west of Index. FS road 62 is the turn off that leads up to the Proctor Creek drainage. That road used to take you all the way to North Bend and hundred miles of gravel logging roads. Most of the area is locked up now except for the first 5 miles that is a public FS road.

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 11:48 pm 
Unfortunately I don't think I can squeeze it in that weekend between moving during the day and the Symphony that night that I've had the tickets for for the last 6 months. (It's "The Planets" I'm wondering if they are going to leave out Pluto tongue.gif ) Actually my Saturdays are fairly well booked till Mid August when I get back from Hawaii.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 12:41 am 
Wow. I hope i inspired something more than a fad. I was planing on going to Jordan creek falls with aywolfpac. But, i think it's no secret that one of my pet peeves is loosing an access road. mad.gif It's not like this one is on the chopping block because of budget issues either. This is something that could happen entirely because of miss use. A big crowd of folks would be a big help...and as seen as Isabel, it turns it into a blast. Ya know what else...as much as i hate the media circus, the media might not be a bad idea. I'm in. up.gif up.gif Still have plenty of trash bags lol.gif I think there multiplying

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Zekester
Suckin' wind

Zekester
Suckin' wind
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 8:34 am 
I might be able to make it later in the day on Sunday. That weekend is my annual family car camping trip, so I'm out for Saturday. I can haul a bunch of trash out in my truck on Sunday afternoon though. Let me know if that helps! ~Zack

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 8:40 am 
so you all go up there, clean the road that mostly (not all) has been littered by 4x4 folks and loggers. You actually think they will keep the road open? it is about money not garbage! right? maybe i am wrong. hell i am always wrong. What about blazing a new climbers path up! now that is the only solution! winksmile.gif

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 8:50 am 
Cool! A new trail up Persis. agree.gif I think once GH contacts Longview Fibre, we'll have a better idea whether to go ahead with this. It's a little tricky - if we clean it up, there's a better chance of keeping the road open. On the other hand, we don't want to spend the time and energy and see the road gated a week later.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 8:51 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
This is something that could happen entirely because of miss use.
Miss Use is always causing problems. I hate her. hmmm.gif Tazz, it ain't money this time. It is Miss Use, according to the findings of Dogpatch, GeoHiker, etc. I’ll be on a secret mission that weekend, so I’m out. It will become difficult to round up folks from now on – summer’s here and for lots of folks, backpacking will likely trump project work. Not that it isn’t important, but… Leave Pluto out of Planets…. Warren, you’re such a card. You need to be dealt with. clown.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am 
Quote:
It is Miss Use, according to the findings of Dogpatch, GeoHiker, etc.
see i knew i was wrong. biggrin.gif thanks... clean away folks! thanks smile.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 11:02 am 
Quote:
It will become difficult to round up folks from now on – summer’s here and for lots of folks, backpacking will likely trump project work.
frown.gif I fear Q might be right.......But considering this is a car accessible trash. It might not be that difficult. It's way easier to grab trash that's only a few hundred feet from the car. I have seen Friends of the Trail in there before maybe they will respond to an E mail this time....dont hold your breath they never did with Isabel rolleyes.gif A carcamp is a great idea too. Why not? Base camp at the car...clean up some trash, climb Persis up.gif up.gif uhh.gif Now to get more attention on this site hockeygrin.gif I noticed the Persis gate thread at CC has not received any attention. frown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential