Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Oct 10, 2003 7:10 pm 
Interesting collections if you haven't seen the site. Library of Congress NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 10:42 am 
Thanks, I've checked out the site from time to time for a few years now. The digital collection of photographs keeps growing and growing as they digitize more and more of the LOC collection. That is a full time job and not in expression either! It's easy to spend mondo amounts of time lookin' at the pics. Check out the Edward Curtis collection of his North American Indian photos here up.gif I especially like the collection of historical panorama shots taken at various locales by different photographers here. Click "Disasters" to find #129- a photo of San Francisco just after the 1906 earthquake taken from a kite! Great shot. Click "Cityscapes" to find # 56- a view of the 1917 Seattle waterfront, and click "Landscapes" to find # 166- a wide view of Dry Falls near Grand Coulee in 1936.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 3:50 pm 
I updated my previous post with some links to pics on the Library of Congress site.

foggy

foggy
PostThu Feb 12, 2004 9:56 am 
I went to the Library of Congress while I was in DC a few years ago, I could've stayed all day. It's very impressive, of course being an avid reader, I drooled over the sight of all the books there. To get close to the books I had to apply for a library of congress library card. It's expired, but a great momento from an awesome once in a lifetime trip! They made it right there, picture on it and all.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Feb 12, 2004 8:43 pm 
Can you imagine what a pain it would be to search through the old card catalog or whatever they used? Digitizing their (our!) collections is one of the great benefits of the Computer Age.