Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are the best inner tube river floats around?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
msjack

msjack
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 8:12 am 
maple valley to renton airport
where do you put in at Maple valley?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dawgTE

dawgTE
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 8:15 am 
One of my favorites from where I am originally from is the Wynoochee River down by Aberdeen

Lono

Lono
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 8:48 am 
Or the Icicle River near Leavenworth - put in near the fish hatchery, pull out before the Icicle joins the Wenatchee River.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 10:34 am 
It's been a while, but we used to float down the Nisqually all the time, usually from the Peissner Road bridge down to the cabin ( just below the mouth of Tanwax Creek ). Unfortunately there's no cabin there anymore ( or property ). High water took the whole parcel ( and a few belonging to neighbors ) downstream in early 1996. My brother and I floated from the Peissner bridge down to McKenna one afternoon- took about 4 hours and we had to get out and walk around a spillway. A buddy of mine and I cut a huge log out of a logjam on the upstream end of the property and rode on it ( standing up ) down past Wilcox's one day. It was fun but difficult to keep out of the shallows. There were always people going past the cabin in tubes and canoes on nice summer weekends. No idea where they put in or got out. The Nisqually is a deceiving killer: watch out for the logjams. One of my older brothers almost drowned in one, and I pulled two kids out of them on two different occasions- one of whom nearly drowned me.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 10:50 am 
The most dangerous situation on a river is water flowing calmly under a log eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 am 
Re: maple valley to renton airport
msjack wrote:
where do you put in at Maple valley?
there are several places where people launch, some go all the way up to landsburg on the hobart-ravensdale road. the park just off maple valley highway under the testy chef cafe is another popular spot, and there are other places all along the highway (look for the groups of parked cars on a hot day)

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 4:28 pm 
I'd float the Stilly when I was a kid, but I'd start in the North Fork closer to Oso, jump out before the forks meet in Arlington, and walk home from there. That was back in the old days when the river wasn't the toilet that it is now. The river in the summer was shallow enough to walk across but there were some deep holes. There's also some excellent fly fishing in that fork. In fact, I believe it's fly fishing only. You can keep on floating after the forks but the river gets wider, deeper, and reeks of raw sewage and cow pies.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 5:45 pm 
+1 for the Yakima - put in at the fishing access on Ringer Road just as the river goes into the canyon, take out at Umptanum where the foot bridge crosses or float all the way to Roza. The weather is usually great in the summer and if you plan it right your campsite is at the end of your float. A definite plus for some of us that felt "just fine" after a four-hour beer float until it was time to stand. dizzy.gif

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 6:01 pm 
stretches of the Beckler are great for floating. and no cow pies or farm runoff.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 6:01 pm 
Do the next section up on the Sky. Put in at the Sultan River and take out at Ben Howard. You'll get faster water and some small rapids. Fishing is much better too!...... Humpies are moving into the Snohomish, so a few more weeks the rivers will be thick with salmon. Saw a mess of people fishing. Got to get down there next week. Fish on!

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 pm 
For a slow trip, the Okanogan River is good. A long float can go from Riverside to Okanogan. A shorter trip is to put in near the Stampede grounds and float down to Okanogan. There's one stretch of "not quite whitewater." Which used to be the name of a big waterfight/race/float. Time depends on time of year and water depth, but you probably know that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 pm 
The South Fork Nooksack is an excellent float trip. Put in around Acme. Hop out at the bridge behind Everybody's Store in Van Zandt.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 am 
Dad's friend Rick in early 70's was floating over a spillway on cascade canal near Kittitas and got hung up on a piece of rebar just enough to open him up clean. Apparently his smaller intestinal goods flopped out and floated with him for a bit as he one arm paddled to the shore beneath the concrete dealy thing by the old Vantage hw. An off duty medic was taking a rest stop with his family at the pull off, apparently did a field stitch on the spot, and carted him to Seattle. He lived. Dad still says its a true story. Part of me thinks its a fish story. But damn that would suck. I second Fall city to Carnation. That is your quintessential slower than hell beer float. With a bridge to jump off and a few rope swings. And no spillways.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 am 
Wenatchee River below Leavenworth. I stayed at the River's Edge Lodge, Monday night, and there were several groups of tubers making that their headquarters. Nearby there was a place that advertised tubing rentals and guided tubing trips (a la rafting on rougher rivers). Anyway, it's a nice stretch of smooth flowing river, with a few riffles thrown in for fun.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!