Forum Index > Trip Reports > I like Huckleberries (Lake Ann trail at Mt Baker)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kasey³
A Perfect 10

Kasey³
A Perfect 10
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 7:39 am 
Mommy said we were going out to pick yummy huckleberries. But Mommy I said, “I’m hungry now” So she gave me peanut butter bagel, which I ate in the car and got all over my arms and shirt. I like peanut butter. wub.gif Our first stop was for coffee and donuts. I like donuts. wub.gif Next stop was the US border where we ran into Mommy’s friend Vida, then onward to Jenjen’s store where Janet got into our car. Mommy and Janet were so busy talking about hiking, they were ignoring me so I kept interrupting so they didn’t forget I was there. hockeygrin.gif Ryan∞ got to ride in Mommy’s backpack. No fair! I asked to ride in it first! rant.gif I had to walk but I got to wear my pink shoes. Mommy tried to put me in comfortable shoes but all my shoes that are not pink hurt my feet. The trail to Lake Ann is really steep so Mommy held my hand the whole way. It wasn’t too long before we had our first taste of huckleberries. They were yummmmmy. hungry.gif Mommy told me names of all the flowers and plants. I was pretending to be a thistle and pricked her. Buster, Janet, uhm jenjen and uhm…what’s the other girl’s name? Were far ahead, we had to catch up. At the bottom I got Smarties with my lunch. Mmmmm I like Smarties. wub.gif I sat in the bushes and helped Janet pick berries. Janet sounded like a sheep nom nom nom Ryan∞ started getting cranky so mommy put him in the pack and we started hiking back. I led the way. I’m a good leader. I jumped from rock to rock to rock to rock. I only stopped to eat more berries. Mommy told me after the hike I could have chocolate milk. It was a long hike. I wish it wasn’t so long. Mommy kept nagging me to stay on the inside of the trail, I told her I didn’t know it was so steep when I fell down it a couple of times. I got too tired to walk so mommy put me on her shoulders for the last part, Ryan∞ was funny, he kept tickling my back and making silly noises. When we got to the book at the top where we put our names mommy said we were there, but we weren’t because we kept walking. Mommy picked me up again and I hung off the front of her like a monkey. When we got to the car I kept asking mommy for chocolate milk. First we had to go to jenjen’s store. I kept asking “are we there yet?” we FINALLY made it and I got my chocolate milk, it was deeeeeelicious. I love chocolate milk. wub.gif As we drove home I said to mommy “Thank you for taking me hiking to the border, I had fun berry picking. I love huckleberries, do you know that mom?” (My daddy was hiking so mommy did not have her camera. Mommy’s friends took pictures of me and my stinky boy brother because we are so cute. Hopefully they can share some.)

Product of David & Karen™
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 8:29 am 
biggrin.gif up.gif up.gif what a sweet well-written report ! I am glad that you could join us Kasey !!

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 8:47 am 
Good thing mommy packs all that camera gear, most of the time. eek.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 11:59 am 
Scrooge wrote:
Good thing mommy packs all that camera gear, most of the time. eek.gif
Hey, Mommy packed 60 lbs of kidlets, not like I need an additional 15 in camera gear anyway! lol.gif Suffice it to say I was more bagged from hiking with the kids than any of the 3 day backpacks I did in the previous 2 weeks! hockeygrin.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 12:06 pm 
That is an awesome report! Just great! kasey is a funny girl... lol.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 pm 
You wrote an awesome trip report, Kasey! Buster and I thank you for letting us come along with you - we had a great time. cool.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 6:23 pm 
oh there was some good eating to be had !! we barely hit the trail and already we stopped:
pleasantly picking
pleasantly picking
pick pick
pick pick
picking and sharing
picking and sharing
making our way down into the valley...
descending
descending
descending some more
descending some more
must stop and pick some more...
we are all picking
we are all picking
everyone picks
everyone picks
we made it as far out as the stream crossing
relaxing
relaxing
buster and jen
buster and jen
watching for reflections in the water.
watching for reflections in the water.
I took a lovely family picture
family portrait
family portrait
I must say that while rushing to Lake Ann, one typically misses the quiet beauty of this little valley. I know that I have. There is a gentle grace to the headwaters of Swift Creek. Look at the gentle trail:
into the valley
into the valley
forest fires are raging nearby, and in BC and elsewhere in WA state. The air quality was good, but the haze filtered everything we saw.
forest fires are raging nearby, and in BC and elsewhere in WA state. The air quality was good, but the haze filtered everything we saw.
the view behind
the view behind
the view ahead
the view ahead
the beautiful flowers and huckleberries along the way
blueberries !! red leaves! yellow larches are not far behind.
blueberries !! red leaves! yellow larches are not far behind.
flowers fade and yellow, leaves turn red. 
soon, the larches will turn yellow too. I cannot wait.
flowers fade and yellow, leaves turn red. soon, the larches will turn yellow too. I cannot wait.
and finally say hello to the majestic trees along the way
on the return trip back to the trailhead
on the return trip back to the trailhead
I have a fondness for backlit trees
I have a fondness for backlit trees
I was sad to go home on Sunday, and look forward to seeing these views - soon - shrouded in snow

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 pm 
(this is from Buster...) I love hiking with kids! They have all sorts of goodies they get sloppy with - and sometimes they even just hand the goodies over. That's the best of all. The reflections in the stream were just awesome. Always moving, and I can't quite get them. I will one of these days, I'll get me one of those moving lights! Hiking back out with Kasey was super cool. She's a real trooper. I kept showing her where to go, and she just marched right along. wub.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic