Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group (meetup.com)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm 
Anyone here a member?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Sep 30, 2009 7:09 pm 
I'm not a participant if that's what ya mean. ("Member" just doesn't have a good ring to it, when it comes to meetup.com.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Sep 30, 2009 8:41 pm 
??? Not sure I understand??? Not a participant in what? If you join that group then you are a member, whether or not you actively participate in their scheduled activities. Is there some social stigma attached to being a member of a group on meetup.com that I'm unaware of? But, this is beside the point. I'm just wondering if there's any crossover between that particular hiking group and the membership of this site. There sure doesn't seem to be yet that group has over 1700 members... That and I have a question about one of the organizers over there that I was hoping I could ask someone that I at least have some connection to (by both of us being members of this site, if nothing else.)

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 6:47 am 
My impression is that most of the people in the groups on Meetup have little to no idea of what they're doing. Many of the organizers *do* have a clue, but the members just tend to be more casual about the whole hiking thing.
  • Often, people will show up for hikes with inadequate gear.
  • Many of them are looking for a guided experience.
  • For many of them their idea of a "hike" is something on Cougar / Tiger or going up Si. ("Not that there's anything wrong with that.")
  • Some of them are experienced, but just from out of state and looking for direction re: local destinations.
The bulk of them are new, from out of state, think to themselves "I like hiking. My dad took me car camping as a child." And they sign up.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 am 
WILL... you are way too good out there for meet up. Isn't this the group who was rescued from snow lake trail cause they didn't look at the forecast and could not handle the walk in the deep snow? Or was it the other easy lake trail. there was a thread about it here. confused.gif can't remember which lake it was.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 7:56 am 
I looked into the Vancouver version and it seemed to confirm exactly what Mike describes. I also noticed another flavour of Meetup - young single athletic types that do trail running/biking and other uber fitness activities.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 am 
It was the Melakwa Lake trail, Tazz...

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 8:28 am 
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 8:54 am 
Realized while I was showering my original post may have seemed overly negative / judgmental. Full disclosure: I'm an organizer on the Seattle Outdoor Adventures Meetup (have organized a few trips in the past) and a (big ol') member over on the Seattle Backpackers Meetup. I've met a lot of really nice people on my trips with the Meetup groups -- many of them are just looking for a way to break into hiking and wanting someone to help get them out and into it, and several people I've met early in their "careers" have really taken off since then and run with it. up.gif up.gif In my experience, though, it's not a great place to organize any kind of a technical or strenuous trip. People don't read the warnings you post, no matter how many warnings you post, and simply show up without gear or experience and expect you to be able to carry them through. Even if everyone is well equipped, it can be hard to deal with the unknowns. Some people just hike more slowly than others, and as result effectively slow down the entire group and and set you up for failure if time is of the essence. Easy hikes, yeah...it's great. But not so much when you really need to know the speed/level/experience of the folks involved. I've never actually gone on a hike with the Seattle Backpackers, as they tend to go to the same locations again and again, and/or if they're going someplace interesting, they want to go at a pace that I'm not comfortable with. (glacial)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 11:13 am 
Here's a Readers Digest version of an e-mail I received yesterday. I just about choked to death........ hockeygrin.gif I'm sure he's learned enough from his Melakawa disaster to teach a class. He has after all "4 years of guiding NW enthusiasts" shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif Announcing a new Meetup for The Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group! What: NW Washington Backpacking 101 by Cameron SeattleBackpackers oganizer When: October 28, 2009 6:00 PM Price: $85.00 per person Where: (A location has not been chosen yet.) Exclusive Seattlebackpackers.com Backpacking 101 by your humble organizer. Based on four years of guiding NW enthusiasts. This is a two day class that will be held at one of three venues in Seattle depending on the number of RSVP'S. Location will be parking and public transportation friendly. Classes are from 6:00PM to 9:00PM Wednesday and Thursday the 28th and 29th of October. We will be covering all season backpacking. This is 100% about educating new backpackers on all aspects and concerns of backpacking in the NW. To support the Seattle Backpackers we require an advance fee of $85.00 or $115.00 at the door. Payment instructions will be emailed to you after you sign up.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 11:49 am 
Yeah, I saw that. Liked the handy provided outline:
Quote:
II. Debunking the local permits 1. Parking passes 2. Hiking permits (When required) 3. Potential fines if you decide to take a chance
huh.gif
Quote:
III. Safety 1. Planing your trip A. Who to notify of your trip B. Checking weather
doh.gif Definitely important. agree.gif Agree with the others re: Meetup for hiking in general. Re: Seattle Backpackers, specifically, it's kind of a weird one. Cameron's a unique personality. I'm always surprised that people stick around after his occasional tirades and mass e-mailings and with all of the weird boilerplate legal disclaimer bullsh##. For example, looking at anyone's profile in the group, you'll notice that he's made one of the "tell us about yourself" fields read:
Quote:
In consideration of right to participate in the activities offered by The Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group, I agree to RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY The Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group, its members and organizers from any and all liability.
That's just weird. I wonder how many people fill that field in with their own little "hell, yeah!" or "I don't think so!" comments. wink.gif

matt.greenlake
Matt_M

matt.greenlake
Matt_M
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 3:22 pm 
Yes, I'm sure it's the same dude. Yes, he's approached people in the past regarding cashing in on meetup. Yes, the spelling of his name changed from Ownbey to Ownby, at least on meetup. When I first saw this stuff he had just moved to Seattle from Chicago. I refused to join in on the spamming of this stuff because I thought he came here to make a new life, potentially change his ways. Benefit of the doubt. Besides I'd seen that he had accumulated something like 600k in fees(or settlements, whatever, 300k noted in pdf link) for shady practices. He's a [removed by mod] who has endangered lives with his incompetence and now thinks he's qualified to sell his backpacking genius. Please distribute. http://www.cftc.gov/opa/enf03/opa4843-03.htm http://www.cftc.gov/stellent/groups/public/@lrenforcementactions/documents/legalpleading/enfownbeyorder.pdf

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 3:30 pm 
Interesting, but I'm not sure it's the same dude. Oddly enough, Zabasearch has no record of a Cameron Ownby here in Seattle, neither does Intelius. Zabasearch only lists a single Cameron Ownbey in Chicago, IL. Records in Zabasearch come from public records, generally info gleaned during the purchase of real estate/land. But Intelius does confirm that there's one "Cameron S. Ownbey" who's lived in Elgin and Chicago in Illinois, then in Everett, WA and finally in Whitewater, WI *as well as* another "Cameron Ownbey" who's lived only here in Seattle, WA. The thing that makes me think they're two separate individuals are that the relatives listed for each of the two are very very different. As an aside, I do feel that he's trying to take cash in on the whole Meetup thing, with the corporate sponsorships and whatnot.

matt.greenlake
Matt_M

matt.greenlake
Matt_M
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 3:38 pm 
Ownby wasn't a legal change I don't think. He was Ownbey when he got here from Chicago and for the next few years after.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 pm 
The person fined $600,000 by the CFTC in Chicago was listed as living in Seattle when the case was closed. News Article