Forum Index > Trip Reports > Exploring Newton Cave near Snoqualmie Mountain 10-11-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 4:22 pm 
Redwic wrote:
There are multiple caves found on Cave Ridge, including: Newton Cave, Cascade Cave, Lookout Cave, Hellhole Cave, Prospectors Cave, Clarks Cave, and Red Cave. A helpful NWH report about Cave Ridge... https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2734 According to the forum linked above, Newton Cave was noted as the 13th deepest cave in the United States. However, one website shows Newton Cave as actually the 59th deepest cave in the United States, with a depth of 600' below the surface.
Thanks for the info Craig. As usual you have proven your skill for research. I did some searching before the trip but was not able to find as much as you did. According to the CaverBob website, Newton is the deepest in the state.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm 
Redwic wrote:
EastKing wrote:
For me it was only my fourth, non-commercial cave I had ever been to and by far the most exciting. I have quiet a bit more experience with rappells but rappelling in a cave was actually quiet the experience. The other three were in West Virginia. This though by far was the most technical. It was interesting how coming up was actually harder than going down.
West Virginia, huh? Did you see any crawlers in those caves, like in the movie "The Descent"?
No just a bunch of sleeping bats. They didn't bother us because it was late fall. You did see all the little limestone structures though in the West Virginia caves. To be honest all I have heard is about that movie since I have told them about caving. Thank goodness I don't watch movies.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 8:39 pm 
Thanks for the cool TR. I haven't explored the caves in years, and never did do Newton. Hell Hole Cave has a wonderful rappel through the roof.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 pm 
wolfs wrote:
For those inspired to head up there: there are two caves up there to be particularly beware of. Hellhole Cave has a long vertical drop almost immediately past entrance crawls of its two tiny entrances, such that you need to be roped in while you crawl backwards. .
Very good advice..Hellhole's drop is about 2' under the entrance, where you emerge into the cave...hanging from the center of the ceiling about 70' in the air. When squeezing into the entrance your legs are out in free rappell already. You must be on rappel already before you begin the squeeze.. Caving is simple enough, but can be extremely hazardous.. rescues are very problematic from the git go, especially out here where caving is rare and search and rescue teams are not well versed or practiced in it's peculiar requirements.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

zimmertr
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 pm 
I think I'll stick to Carlsbad Caverns lol.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Oct 14, 2009 8:21 am 
As another former West Virginia caver, it's nice to discover that there really are a few calcium carbonate caverns out here. Somehow the lava tubes just don't cut it. Good job on the photography. Lighting up those spaces well enough to show what you're trying to photograph is quite a trick. Special kudos on the rappelling shots. up.gif up.gif
The report would be even better if you'd resize the damn pics. irked.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Oct 15, 2009 10:35 am 
Scrooge wrote:
Good job on the photography. Lighting up those spaces well enough to show what you're trying to photograph is quite a trick. Special kudos on the rappelling shots. up.gif up.gif
Thanks Scrooge. For every good shot there were a couple blurry or dark ones that didn't cut the mustard.

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Oct 15, 2009 9:11 pm 
this report is just plain awesome. Not many spelunking reports here. thanks!

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostSun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 4:19 pm 
Here's a neat video of the cave that just got posted. Not sure how far down they got in relation to Gimpilator.

Thedrunkbaguette
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 8:09 am 
Thanks for the video link. I recognize that crawl at the end of the video. They didn't do the big overhanging rappel, but I think they got nearly as far as we did.

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

Bramble_Scramble